Quotes for competing against cnc

I've known a couple guys who talked to the local machine shops for side work. Everyone gets busy or behind sometimes. If you can be a guy on call, but not on the payroll, you can be a useful asset to a large shop. They don't have to have 40 hours of work for you, insure you, tax your wages, etc. They just call when they get behind. I knew a guy who paid off his mill in 7 months like that. Then the shop found somebody cheaper and it was over. BUT... at least he got the machine paid for.

Brent , I think I told you how I got started as well as why I got out of " making parts for money " . Main reason was , there was no money to be made , or I should say easy money . My machines have sat idle for years other than what I want to do with them . No money involved other than the occasional beer job for the neighbors or farmers . Three things will determine your future as a shop owner . Quality , cost , and delivery time . If you don't have two out of three of these , you're sunk . These days as in the past , I only consider breakdown work . If a plant manager or owner of a company approaches me about needing work performed , find out the details . If he has a line down that produces $2000 an hour and he needs a part immediately , yeah , I consider it. Production ? Forget it . Having a shop sit idle is not a bad thing . It's there when needed , just get the word out to the right people that it is available . As far as an hourly rate .......................................you may charge $30 an hour for say Bridgeport work . ou may charge $150 an hour for large lathe work . It depends on what equipment you have on hand . R&D , breakdown work , one offs should be what you're looking for . You know I am back at the company I managed 35 years ago . My plant manager used to give me work to do at home . I charged $75 an hour back in 1986 which was good money back then . The reason they would do this is my time was not fully burdened with the company's overhead costs , so we both made out well . As an example . One of the jobs was a 3" or so pipe connector with an internal taper pipe thread . We made 1000s of these for our larger pressure vessels . Typically , they went onto one of the huge LeBlonde VMCs and were thread milled . Did a nice job but tied the high dollar machines up for $hit work basically . I set the lathe up with the taper attachment and threaded these things every frikkin day for a year . Good money .

So fast forward 32 years . I'm back at this same company . I have a 10 minute drive to work vs. an hour or so on I 95 . The guy who worked in my basement shop and who I brought into the company , eventually ended up as plant manager over the years . He is now my boss ! :encourage: I currently run the plant from 7pm-7am ( although at this point I'm off for this chemo and upcoming operation ) , but I'm in touch daily with what's going on within the plant . He knows I'll be back when I'm able to be back , we have some work to do . We make a product , we do not make " parts " . Myself being on nightshift , I do make parts when needed . A line goes down , emergency crap , improving production processes etc . Whatever , back to the point . I send jobs out , doesn't pay to make these parts in house . Easy crap . wide open tolerances for a mill . We go thru this stuff daily as part of the production process and these are expendable parts . Next time I get over there I'll get with my planner and see what they are paying for these parts , and I'll forward the info to you to see if you're interested . It's like I said , I couldn't care less as to who makes them , as long as I have them for my shop and people. Damn , long post . Sorry to bore you , and next time down , I'll run you thru the plant . Dave

BTW , my boss knows of you from the trips we've met up on . We are always recruiting new people interested in this trade . I told him I was hitting Cabin Fever over the weekend , he's up in New Freedom Pa. and we just had a new member join our website from that area . If you ever get the urge to explore , let me know . We pay good ! :grin:

So i am quoting for a job today of 2 parts at 25 pces each. I got it quoted down but damn is metal fricken expensive now. The customer is looking at 1000$ just in materials alone with shipping included to me. I didnt think to check shipping when i told him about the quote so i sent him 3 sources for material. I am hoping i get the job since i believe i am on the lower end compared to others.
I know someone mentioned getting the word out to farmers but I’d also add,,,,, independent shops, dealer shops, independent mechanics, especially heavy equipment and industrial. Not only for fixing/making parts but tools and tooling. Seems like now just about every section in a Deere service manual has a page or two of special tools.

Along with that line . At work there were times we had bushing drivers made for pressing out / installing bushings , ball joints drivers / installers , it’s tuff for shops to have everything. Take pictures as you make and repair things . Keep track of times tooling , weather you made or lost money on the job . The pictures might some day be useful for showing what work you can do . Good Luck !

Little tip you guys may find useful to get you in the ballpark for quoting work. If you are able to produce or get ahold of 3D models of the parts in question, simply upload to online machine shop sites like Xometry, Hubs.com Big blue saw, etc…
You’ll get instant quotes and can massage materials, qty’s, lead time etc to see how it affects cost. This will get you in the zip code of what could be reasonable price to charge. Of course every situation is different so YMMV. You might even (although unlikely) find it’s easier to just source it thru them and mark up a little to your customer.
Unless you like giving away your labor and dealing with headaches for peanuts, I would stick to one off bespoke type work. 25 PCs sounds easy typing on the computer. Not so much turning cranks on a manual lathe or mill.

Another source of work is wastewater treatment plants. Just about every town has a plant, and they need parts repaired or made on a regular basis.

Following up on the John Deere tools comment, I used to work for a centrifuge manufacturer, I worked on the equipment used in waste treatment, but they also had a different type of centrifuge used in process industries like dairies, wineries, breweries, juice plants, etc. Both types of machines had many special tools needed for maintenance and many plants lost the tools, or threw them out not realizing what they were, and then had sticker shock with how insanely expensive it was to replace them.

Back