Quoting a job, looking for tooling suggestions.

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm working on quoting a job and need a few suggestions for tooling. The parts are free machining brass and 12L14 carbon steel. Initial prototype quantity is 5, follow up order will be 300-500 pcs.

Feature #1: I need to turn a 2.5mm and 5mm external radius on the parts. A 3/32" radius tool falls within the allowable tolerance on the 2.5mm radius, however there is not an imperial equivalent for the 5mm. Looking for a source for a HSS or brazed carbide tools with metric concave radaii.

Feature #2: I need to machine multiple grooves 1.5mm wide by 1mm (radial) deep. I can grind a HSS tool, but would prefer an insert which can groove that size. Looking for TNMA or TNMC inserts with that thin of a groove width.

Feature #3: There is an external M3.5-0.6 thread on the end of one of the parts. Thinking a tailstock die holder would be the best, but open to suggestions. Don't want to single point 500 parts.

Feature 1: A 3/16 (0.188) is pretty close, if not close enough then grinding a tool may be your best option. I use carbide tipped corner rounding router bits on the lathe.

Feature 2: Thinbit would be my go to vendor, http://www.thinbit.com/products/grooving/index.php

Feature 3: For short runs, a tailstock die holder might be the best option.

Sounds like you need a CNC lathe ;)

Jim,

Good idea on the router bit! I know I can get corner rounding milling cutters as well in 5mm. I don't think I can grind a form tool myself to the tolerance I need.

I will give them a call and see if they can put a tool together for me!

As to your final comment, I am thinking of using the CNC mill as a lathe for this job. Perhaps do OP 1 on the lathe, then chuck the part in the mill and turn, groove, and "rigid tap" then end of the part through the die. This would greatly free me up as opposed to doing it all manually.

As to your final comment, I am thinking of using the CNC mill as a lathe for this job. Perhaps do OP 1 on the lathe, then chuck the part in the mill and turn, groove, and "rigid tap" then end of the part through the die.

We have done that. :)

Drill rod. Drill a hole cut it in half. H. Treat it and temper. Regrind the top face if needed but you shouldn t have to with those materials and numbers. Do your brass first then add rake for your 12l14.

It is not difficult to grind a radius into a HSS blank. Use a Demel and suitably sized stones.

This guy sells radius tool bits. Unfortunately only in sets.

This guy will grind you anything you want. Tony at B&B grinding, 801-561-9333

When you have the order in hand for 500 parts is the time to shop for tooling for a 500 part run, not before. It ain't sure till it's sure....

When that happens, I suggest a geometric die head for the external thread. The chasers release automatically when thread length is met. No backing the die out.

Back