R-F 30 reassembly spindle shaft

Dudemanrod

Registered
Registered
I'm ready to reassemble my spindle in the quill I have new bearings coming but was told by member that the spindle could be bad. Is there a way to check it before I put it all back together?

Attachments

• 20190608_083744.jpg
    20190608_083744.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190608_083937.jpg
    20190608_083937.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 55
Put it in the lathe and use indicator to see what kind of runout issues there may be. If it is bent you should be able to see that easy enough. The inside at the tool end could always be reamed to clean up any burrs from spinning tools it has seen.

Thanks Montana that was my first thought I gotta dial indicater but no lathe yet. I quess installing the collet and a straight piece of bar stock would mimic what going on with it.

What was going on with it? Tool wobble?

If you don't have a lathe the best thing to do is to reassemble and then measure runout on the tool end. If you don't have significant runout on the outside of the spindle, you will need to check the inside. Like I said if there are burrs on the inside of the collet taper it will cause runout on the tool. That can be fixed but will require the proper reamer and of course a lathe to do it right.

It is pretty difficult to actually bend a spindle, there are other things that will bend or break before the spindle reaches the amount of force needed to bend. It is a pretty stout chunk of steel. On the round column mills any significant crash will likely rotate the column well before there is any damage to the spindle. The thing that makes them finicky to begin with also makes it pretty difficult to actually hurt them.

I agree - assemble it with good bearings and check static concentricity at several places inside the spindle taper to determine its condition. These spindles are not hardened and they will wear, especially if the bearings have been bad for a while.

Yea I just picked up this mill a couple weeks ago used it's an 87 Taiwan made. I had to take it apart to move it so I want to get as good as I can before reassemble so I never checked runout. There is no severe wear that I can see but I need to check it.

Thanks Montana that was my first thought I gotta dial indicater but no lathe yet. I quess installing the collet and a straight piece of bar stock would mimic what going on with it.
Find a flat surface (even if you have to buy a small granite surface plate) and indicate the spindle while spinning it on a cupla V-blocks.

I thought I would pass on how I installed my spindle shaft and pulley taper bearings. Most of you guys already know this but maybe it could be of use to a new person. All I did was put the spindle shaft and taper in the freezer overnight lightly oiled and the bearings just dropped on no press no hammer nice slip fit.

Attachments

• 20190622_083527.jpg
    20190622_083527.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190622_083603.jpg
    20190622_083603.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 35
Back