R8 Alternatives

Royal makes an R8 quick change system. Z-height is very repeatable, and it's a one-handed (mostly) tool change to snap them in and out. I'd use them for anything except big insert face mills and huge shell mills - they won't take the side loads of huge tools.

http://www.royalproducts.com/product.cfm?catID=11

They're ferociously expensive brand new. If you want a pretty complete set let me know. I have a set that came with my mill but I'm switching to a BT30 soon and don't need them.

ddickey - What collet system did you decide to go with?

The Ultron went really cheap, ~$130. That's what heppens when you put a max bid in thinking you'll steal it and miss the ending of the auction.
Then I was thinking about an ER32. I see no reason for ER40 but since I already have ER40 collets I will probably get a decent quality R8-ER40 collet holder.
IDK for sure.

The Ultron went really cheap, ~$130. That's what heppens when you put a max bid in thinking you'll steal it and miss the ending of the auction.
Then I was thinking about an ER32. I see no reason for ER40 but since I already have ER40 collets I will probably get a decent quality R8-ER40 collet holder.
IDK for sure.

Wow! That was highway robbery for $130. My guess is replacement cost would be about $2,500.

Yes. Also missed out on an Erickson quick change for the about the same price. I guess it wasn't supposed to be. There will be more.

I ended up getting a set of Bridgeport brand quick change R8 gear

I took a long time and searched “Bridgeport Quick” on eBay. Got a couple sets and some single parts.

That way for tool changes the lengths are preset and it is easy to just change out. Never use the drawbar. R8 chuck stays in all the time. Edge finders, endmills, etc. and I was able to get 5 Jacobs chucks that fit.

Back