R8 Collet Alignment Screw

plongson

Registered
Registered
Just a comment here...As you may recall I just got a Bridgeport and SBL. I'm going through the process of cleaning, sorting, repairing...and more cleaning, you get the idea.

So the collet, you could just throw up in the spindle...no collet alignment screw. Stick in your finger and feel the hole. I started to order one and about choked on the price and held off a day. So yesterday as I was sitting there looking at the mill, I got a wild hair to just pull it and look before I ordered one.

This is the crazy part, it appears someone had just backed off the screw and it was essentially in great condition, it just needed to be reset. (Or maybe it was mischievous little night trolls)

Now I have an alignment screw and saved about $25.00!!

It sometimes pays to check before you order!!

Why's that?
Read some of our threads on here to find out why . I've been running BPs for 45 years now and just telling you don't need the alignment screw .It does more harm than good . Why do you think someone backed it off on yours ? :)

Would this hold for all R8 tapers? I still have the alignment screw in my PM727.

The first time you draw that collet up in the wrong position you'll ruin the collet and the pin ! Seen it a 100 times . They are a PITA to remove both when you do . The collet does NOT have to be orientated to the spindle , it makes no difference .

There are TWO set screws in that hole. The dog point should be the one that comes through, then there is a special one that locks the first one in place.

The only real purpose of the screw is to keep the collet from rotating while you start and tighten the draw bar. Mine was gone when I got the mill and have since replaced it.

Is it worth $25? No. But what the hell. For what I have into the mill, $25 is peanuts. It never ceases to amaze me how cheap some folks can be in this hobby as well as my other one, off roading in the Jeep. Someone will put $50k into a Jeep and then complain when the group they are going out with requires a $50 set of GMRS handheld radios. After spending $2k or more on a Bridgeport, $25 will not cause me to lose my house. LOL!

I can see why that pin isn't desirable with a power drawbar. It has never caused me issues hand tightening so I'm not inclined to remove it.

Back