R8 Collet Alignment Screw

The way the PM is set up, you cannot even engage the drawbar unless the pin is aligned with the groove. The collet simply won't seat deep enough.
I have a few collets where the thread is a little tight and it might be hard to start those.

I fought a damaged alignment screw (it's not a driver) in my Kent for too long before I finally got tired of it and took it out. So much happier now. When in the trade, we removed them from all our mills. They serve no real purpose and have the potential to cause problems. Had one shear and jam the cutter in the spindle so badly it required a major surgery to get it out.

The alignment pin on my G0755 lasted several years, and I did not take it out as has been advised by members here. When it failed none of my R8s would seat afterwards because of raised burrs, and it was a bit of a production getting the inside spindle smoothed out. I took the pin out of my new 9 x 50 already.

I fought a damaged alignment screw (it's not a driver) in my Kent for too long before I finally got tired of it and took it out. So much happier now. When in the trade, we removed them from all our mills. They serve no real purpose and have the potential to cause problems. Had one shear and jam the cutter in the spindle so badly it required a major surgery to get it out.

The alignment pin on my G0755 lasted several years, and I did not take it out as has been advised by members here. When it failed none of my R8s would seat afterwards because of raised burrs, and it was a bit of a production getting the inside spindle smoothed out. I took the pin out of my new 9 x 50 already.
So some of us have learned the hard way . :grin: And others will learn in the future ! :laughing:

Is it really called an alignment screw? I once saw a YouTube " tutorial " where the screw function was described as for aligning the collet. The same was used for 5c collets where the " instructor " thought the screw was for rotary alignment. It's just to stop the collet from spinning when tightening the drawbar. This is useful where an R8 or 5c has a tight thread and where there is nothing protruding to hold onto to prevent spinning.
Here is the video - see around 5:20.

My point was, check first, buy later...I fortunately didn't need to purchase the dog point screw, it was still there and good shape. If I'd removed a dicked up screw I WAS going to purchase. I'm NOT cheap and really don't like being accused of being cheap.
Just saying...lol

Boy, this turned out to be a fun topic. Kinda like starting an oil thread in the Harley forum. Very opinionated an passionate thoughts. Thanks all for the feedback.

We have 4 BP's , a Vectrak and a First at work, no alignment screw in any.

Ok. I took the screw out of mine. We'll see how it goes.

Back