R8 collet brand question

John TV

Registered
Registered
In a month or so I will be the proud owner of a Burke Millrite MV1 that has been significantly rebuilt. It has a R8 spindle and I have to purchase collets.

I could use your thoughts on quality vs value. I’m thinking of SPI collets that seem affordable but not at the bottom of the price points. Any reports of quality or problems out there? PS I will not be working for NASA!

Other brands in mind for good value and quality?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an expensive Lyndex set of 5C collets, a cheap set of R8, a low end set of ER32, and a medium priced set of Accu-flex. I have never found a discernible systemic difference. Maybe the Lyndex size markings look more permanent and visible.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been warned about the very cheap collets but obviously price matters.

I currently have a van Norman 12 mill and their special sized old collets are hard to find and very very expensive new. I’m looking forward to having options with the R8 availability.

John

I would look at Lyndex if you can find them at reasonably price, otherwise Vertex which are a Taiwanese brand. SPI use to offer high quality tooling, but, these days are typically more inexpensive Chinese production products and you are paying for the name. With R8 endmills most have standardized shank size, so you do not need an extensive set of collets, typically a 1/8" increment is fine.
Vertex R8 Collet Set

Lyndex, would need to back fill with a 5/8" and 3/4"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304146956272

Thank you, good options.
John

When I first purchased my mill over a decade ago, I purchased a full set from Shars. I'm really not a big fan of Shars, but I have to say that the collets have worked well and on the few that I've actually checked the run-out, it has been very acceptable.

Ted

Back