R8 collet for 3/4" Weldon

Ha, I was looking at some Hougen cutters just a little while ago.
Thanks

My 3 m/t adaptor (non Hougen) also has two set screws. Very nice Canadian quality for $60. I still plan on purchasing a R-8/weldon to keep from cranking up the mill table all the way up. TIP, make sure you lock your table when using the Annular cutters, any side movement= breakage.

Reactions: Z2V
That would not be pretty.

If you go to the Hougen website, IMO,one of the best annular cutters and arbors made, you'll see that their arbor has two SHCS to hold the cutters at the weldon flats. This set up would give you the best rigidity and holding power without slipping.
See>>

The cutters like between 250-450 rpm and also like to be feed constantly (not peck drilling) only pulling up to clear the nest of chips and keep lubed.
They are designed for Mag drills which turn slow RPM's.
Carful what you see on you tube of it can get expensive. Cutting oil/coolant is also a must for longevity. Read this, practice this and your cutter will last.http://www.hougen.com/downloads/Hougen_Mag_Drill_&_Annular_Cutter_Guide.pdf
The RPM's are based off my Mag drill (Hougen 904).

I saw a chart online that had the rpm for 1" cutter at 900 rpm. That just didn't sound right so I set the speed to 400 and it cut just fine. Nothing turned blue.

I've been using around 300rpm and a spray bottle of soluable oil lube. My 3/4" cutter has done over 150 holes in 3/16 and 1/4 structural tube (including welds) and is still sharp.

Reactions: Z2V
Back