R8 collet for 3/4" Weldon

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can I bypass an R8 to 3/4" Weldon adapter and just use a R8 3/4" collet to hold annular cutter with a Weldon shank? I don't see a reason why not but I'd much rather be safe than sorry so I'll ask here.
TIA

yes you can use a collet to run a weldon shank,
just realize that you can't take as deep a cut as you could with weldon toolholder to weldon shank.
if you try to climb mill or try to take too deep of a cut, the annular cutter could be pulled right out of the r8 collet

I'm just putting a 1" hole in 3/4" plate, straight through. I have a 1" annular cutter. I'm gonna go with it.
Thanks for the advice.

A Weldon shank is nothing more than a straight shank with a notch in it. ( same as most endmills ) So yes they can be used in a standard R8 Collet.

Reactions: Z2V
I do all the time (for drilling only) annular cutters should not be side loaded, so don’t mill with them. The R-8 to 3/4” Weldon adaptor has two set screws that secure the cutter on two flat portions of the cutter (90* apart). A 3/4” collet is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use a collet for my annular cutters (a la Tom Lpipton) but found a Chinese Weldon holder for 20$. Now my tool changes are MUCH faster, and there's zero chance of it turning in the collet.

I made my holes today with the 1" annular held in 3/4" R8 collet. Worked great.
My first time to use annular cutter, I'll buy more. It took no time at all to put a 1" hole in a 3/4" plate.
Thanks for all the input

Jeff,
In case you didn't know. There is a 3M/T-3/4" Weldon adaptor for the tail stock (assuming your PM-1236 is 3m/t). If you plan on buying more cutters, you might consider this adaptor for your lathe. It makes quick work on getting close to boring size vs step drilling. Plus on larger hole size you get a coupon that can be used for something else.
Example, You will have limitations on depth, but I would consider buying 2" from the start.
20150626_124820.jpg
Here is the tailstock adaptor. You can find them for $60-70 online. I been buying Annular cutters for some time on eBay for pennies on the dollar,
however the prices have creeped up recently. I look for American but perhaps someone else can provide feedback on imports.
IMG_0677.JPG
I hope this helps.

Paco

Paco, I will definitely be adding more annular cutters to my collection. I hadn't even thought about using them on the lathe. I'll add the adapter to the ever growing shopping list :encourage:
Thanks

If you go to the Hougen website, IMO,one of the best annular cutters and arbors made, you'll see that their arbor has two SHCS to hold the cutters at the weldon flats. This set up would give you the best rigidity and holding power without slipping.
See>>

Back