• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

R8 collet sets

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PT Doc

Active User
Given these 3 options which would get. Would not likely use the 3 largest collets in the first set. Obviously the differences are the smallest sizes and the largest. TIR is < 0.0005 for all sets.

• Includes 29 piece set: 1/32-25/32" x 1/32", 27/32, 29/32, 31/32 and 1" collets (this set lacks 7/8”)
  • 24 Piece set Includes 1/8-7/8" x 1/32" collets (less 17/32" )
  • 23 Piece set Includes 1/16-3/4" x 1/32" collets
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have a 13 piece set by sixteenths from 1/8 to 7/8". The only ones I have used are the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4". I use all of them a lot. Maybe the 5/16" once or twice. Having more would just make the ones I actually use harder to find. They hold tooling, and I try to be careful about what size shanks my tooling has. The more your tooling is only in a few shank sizes, the less time you spend changing out collets.

Bob Korves

Includes 29 piece set: 1/32-25/32" x 1/32", 27/32, 29/32, 31/32 and 1" collets (this set lacks 7/8”)
FYI, in case you did not know, R8 collets above 3/4" are only to size for about 1" into the bore, then are stepped down.

PT Doc

Active User
Thanks for the input to all. I don’t have a chuck for the mill at this point so figured a larger collet set would be helpful with drilling until I get a chuck. Seems like a smaller set of collets would be fine. Thanks again.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Thanks for the input to all. I don’t have a chuck for the mill at this point so figured a larger collet set would be helpful with drilling until I get a chuck. Seems like a smaller set of collets would be fine. Thanks again.
I have used collets rather than a chuck for drills because they generally have less runout and they provide a shorter overall tool assembly which is a plus on mills that are vertically challenged. Use of collets will shorten the overall tool assembly length by about 3" for a 1/2" keyed chuck and 4" for a keyless chuck. This will virtually eliminate the need to raise the head on a round column mill with the subsequent loss of registration.

I cannot think of a time when I have had a drill slip when using collets while I certainly have had that experience with chucks. My collet set goes from 1`/8" to 3/4" by 1/32nds.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Donating Member
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I have used collets rather than a chuck for drills because they generally have less runout and they provide a shorter overall tool assembly which is a plus on mills that are vertically challenged.
I have followed this method of tool holding for about a year now, it was actually you RJ and Mikey who convinced me that not only it is alright to use collets to hold drill bit but it is a big improvement in drilling more precise holes with the right size collets, I hardly use my keyed or keyless chucks since I bought the whole set of imperial and metric collets.

PT Doc

Active User
For those that are using r8 collets for holding drills, how many collets do you have? Thanks

PT Doc

Active User
What do you need 23 R8 collets for? Please explain this.
The thought process was to use collets with my screw machine drills since I don’t have a chuck for the mill yet. This should produce more accurate holes. Do you use a chuck exclusively for drilling or do you use collets as well? Thanks

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
For those that are using r8 collets for holding drills, how many collets do you have? Thanks
A set by 1/64ths would be ideal but by 1/32nds will work. The worst case is a diameter slightly larger than the collet so the next larger collet would have to close almost .032". R8 collets will close a minimum of .032" (at least, all mine do).

mksj

Active User
Would be very time consuming to use just collets for everything. As far as accuracy, it is pretty much moot, as drills will both walk/deflect and their TIR is probably far worse then a decent drill chuck. Get a stub drill set if you want better accuracy/less drill deflection (the difference is very noticeable). Collets may be helpful with larger drill sizes, but as others have mentioned, probably do just fine with a 1/8" increment R8 collet set. Most end mills have standard size shanks. Alternative would be an ER collet set if you want to cover the complete range, they are more collapsible, but I find the TIR can suffer if you are at near their size limits, and also the quality of the collet.

I switch out drills, taps and end mills frequently that even with a power draw bar I mostly use a CNC type keyed/keyless chucks for most drills under 1/2", the chuck TIR is under 0.001". High accuracy milling I will use R8 collets, everything else is a chuck.

chips&more

Active User
I would get a GOOD 13 piece set, like made by Bridgeport and be done with it. And a GOOD drill chuck, like made by Jacobs and be done with that too…Dave.

PT Doc

Active User
Would be very time consuming to use just collets for everything. As far as accuracy, it is pretty much moot, as drills will both walk/deflect and their TIR is probably far worse then a decent drill chuck. Get a stub drill set if you want better accuracy/less drill deflection (the difference is very noticeable). Collets may be helpful with larger drill sizes, but as others have mentioned, probably do just fine with a 1/8" increment R8 collet set. Most end mills have standard size shanks. Alternative would be an ER collet set if you want to cover the complete range, they are more collapsible, but I find the TIR can suffer if you are at near their size limits, and also the quality of the collet.

I switch out drills, taps and end mills frequently that even with a power draw bar I mostly use a CNC type keyed/keyless chucks for most drills under 1/2", the chuck TIR is under 0.001". High accuracy milling I will use R8 collets, everything else is a chuck.
Super good info. Thanks!

PT Doc

Active User
I would get a GOOD 13 piece set, like made by Bridgeport and be done with it. And a GOOD drill chuck, like made by Jacobs and be done with that too…Dave.
Low run out collets and keyless chuck are on my short list. Thanks!

projectnut

I regularly use collets for holding drill bits. Especially when working on large parts where clearance is a concern. I also use them when doing large multiples of the same size hole. I've built several sections of steel railing where the top and bottom rails are drilled every 3 1/2" to weld in the balusters. I like the collets in this application for ease of relocating the rail (each is 8' long), and less hardware in the line of sight. I have and use R8 collets from 1/16" to 7/8" by 1/32". For anything above 7/8" I use tool holders.

P. Waller

The thought process was to use collets with my screw machine drills since I don’t have a chuck for the mill yet. This should produce more accurate holes. Do you use a chuck exclusively for drilling or do you use collets as well? Thanks
Chucks mostly, common twist drills do not make accurate holes, if position is important spot the holes with a spot drill in a collet then drill with a chuck and a larger diameter spot drill will also chamfer the hole saving another operation. If a part has 20 holes first spot/chamfer them all then change tools and drill them all, 1 tool change, this saves a good deal of time.

[6]
[5] [7]