R8 end mill holder - 12mm?

Peter, you're correct in that I do not really want to mar or damage the shank on the Haimer. Any set screw would need to be nylon or brass tipped.

I always try to hang on to the assembly when removing it and the R8 collet from the mill. I am fortunate enough to have a power drawbar on my mill but there is still the risk of a "fumble" as Mark calls it.

I am now going to study the ER collet idea a bit deeper. I have wanted an ER20 or ER25 setup so now may be the time to get one.

Maybe just put a short tether on the Heimer and a hook on the mill head. if you fumble it, it drops a couple inches and no broken tip.

if you were so inclined, make your own R8 endmill holder 12mm bore.
R8 dimension chart.jpg

Thanks to all for the wealth of replies here. I now have two options on order.

1. I bought the Arceurotrade 12 mm end mill holder. To conserve head space on my mill, I will remove as much off the bore end as possible with a KMG grinder and then finish it in the lathe. The Haimer's 12 mm shank is 25 mm long and I am betting the holder has a 50 mm deep bore thereby allowing for the reduction in length. I'll add a brass tip to the set screw so it doesn't mar the Haimer's smooth shank.

Capture.PNG

2. I bought this SOWA R8 ER20 collet chuck and a metric set of Techniks ER20 collets. I have wanted an ER20 set anyway to fill a gap in my ER collet kit. If the end mill holder doesn't work, this is another option.

1514300957915.png

Thanks again and I'll report back when I get all this landed and trialed.

Back