R8 ER25 Collet Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Balor, I think you completely missed the fact that Dan was only trying to be helpful, like the others.

Gentlemen, it is important to remember that we are all friends here and that our responses to others should reflect that, even if the answer given was not exactly what was being sought.

terrywerm I asked for help with the R8 ER collet chuck, not to to not to tell people what I'm doing.

You don't like it, you and DanS have fun but leave me out of it.

rngr1

I have a MetalTech bearing nut, works fine, but I have already had one fail. Rego-Fix HighQ nut probably hard to find and expensive. If you are going to replace it I would go with the Techniks ER25 PowerCOAT. I would first try the stock nut and see how it works, they are nickle plated and very smooth. The force you will need to tighten an ER25 nut is less then the larger ER systems, I would not normally use a torque wrench. A bit different in a production environment.

There are many factors that can influence the TIR, but given that everything else is in good order as far as you spindle you should be able to hit the TIR mentioned, or very close to that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Techniks-ER25-PowerCOAT-Collet-Slot-Nut/122122590221

Thanks mksj

Balor, Dan is dead on the money with his response and he wasn't being facetious. The chuck is only one part of a number of factors that must be dead on to get 0.0001" accuracy and his first item, the spindle, is probably the most important one. You can have the best ER chuck in the world but if the spindle has 0.0005" TIR then you won't be getting that 0.0001" TIR at the tool.

I'm not defending Dan or trying to correct you. I'm just trying to point out that in order to get the kind of accuracy you're after, every single part of the tool chain must be right and the chain is as he listed, plus the collet nut as Mark noted.

mikey if you read my OP I said .0001" if possible

rngr1.

terrywerm I asked for help with the R8 ER collet chuck, not to to not to tell people what I'm doing.

You need a serious attitude adjustment, if you can't even respond to the moderators respectfully you're probably going to get bounced out of the Forum.

rngr1

This is the FRENDLY machinists forum. Please remember that. If you don't want to discuss your end use, that's fine. Just ignore the question.

By rotating the collet in the holder and rotating the holder in the spindle you can probably get to near 0 TIR by canceling the offsets.

rngr1

It is fortunate for you Balor, that I am a patient individual. It appears however, that your question has been answered, so I am closing this thread.

Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back