R8 for annular cutters

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a mag drill, and some annular cutters, what I'm thinking about is using an R8 chuck for the Weldon shank on the mill . I have the Grizzly G0755 2 hp, what would be a good R8 Weldon chuck for this. Thank you.

I have the collet, and keyed chuck that would hold the cutter, but if the cutter bites then it would slip. That is my thinking anyway, maybe I'm over thinking?:confused:
I looked up R8 end mill holder, that is what I need. What is a good brand? Thank you for getting me on track.

Last edited:
Get yourself a 3/4" end mill holder and drill/tap two holes for Allen lock screws. I turn down the heads of the screws so they are flat so less damage to the annular cutter. Get a decent endmill holder so the annular cutter should be a close fit when inserted into the end mill holder. The end mill holders are surface hardened, so you may burn up a drill bit or two in the process. Punch through with a smaller size drill first, then drill a larger hole and tap. You will need to file down the inside burs from the drilling/tapping. I use two set screws in mine, pretty close to the tip of the holder. Works very well. Mine is a Lyndex that I picked up for around $40, sometimes you can find ETM or Iscar for a bit more. Other option is SOWA which are Taiwanese, I have other R8 tooling from them and it is very good. There are Accusize annular chucks for R8, but the reviews tend to be not so good. I would not recommend using any type of keyed chuck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-R8-Sow...Gauge-Length-1-89-Major-Diameter/311339869559

Annular Cutter Holder 2.jpg

I have the collet, and keyed chuck that would hold the cutter, but if the cutter bites then it would slip. That is my thinking anyway, maybe I'm over thinking?:confused:
I looked up R8 end mill holder, that is what I need. What is a good brand? Thank you for getting me on track.

Tool holders are far less expensive, buy a Weldon shank holder of the diameter required.

As with any product you get the quality that you are willing to pay for, Nikken makes excellent r8 holders https://www.lyndexnikken.com/R8-End-Mill-Holder-c1027.htm

Others make r8 tooling as well such as Hardinge, I suspect that you will not like the prices however. For your application buy the lowest priced import product that you can find and have at it.

McMaster has part# 31315A254 which has a 3/4" straight shank, dual set screws, and the weird internal spring thing to hold the pilot shaft. $83 which is a little spendy for limited use, but it works great.

McMaster has part# 31315A254 which has a 3/4" straight shank, dual set screws, and the weird internal spring thing to hold the pilot shaft. $83 which is a little spendy for limited use, but it works great.

^This^ at the very least. The ejection pin won't work without the spring.

Back