R8 for annular cutters

Great ideas, and thank you for the links.

Thank you for the link.

Surprisingly MSC has quite a few 3/4” endmill holders under $50. Do the set screws of the end mill holder line up with the flat of the annular cutter without need for modification?

Kennametal, Collis and Accupro are good quality end mill holders. I tend to stay away from Interstate these days. With MSC, once you get checked out after tax and shipping the price is less attractive, let alone applying the correct discount code.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02293041

The set screws in the end mill holders do not align with the annular cutter flats, so you need to drill/tap new holes close to the tip. The other problem is end mill holders are beveled at the nose, so the hole may need to go through the beveled section. I went with a end mill holder that had the smallest nose bevel I could find. Annular cutter holders have a flat nose with no bevel. One could put the end mill holder on the lathe and cut off the tapered section, but it can be pretty tough stuff getting through the case hardening.

It seems like the annular cutter don’t have much of a shank yet r8 annular cutter holders are really long below the r8 taper. Why all the added length? Might not make a difference since there won’t be side loading on an annular cutter.

Back