r8 quick change collets

I use the Ultron Snap Change system. Here's the website snapchange.com/. It's a simple system that uses about 1" of spindle travel to change a collet. No adapters or power drawbar are needed.

The kit I bought was for a Bridgeport so I had to replicate the distance from the spindle nose to the drawbar seating surface on top of the spindle thus the need for the adapter plate and spool pictured below.
20150216_154158.jpg

This is the kit I bought. It came with the special drawbar, the collet gripper, the rotation sensor (aluminum piece on the left), and 12 assorted collets.
20150216_155015.jpg

I heard that the Royal Quick change system is only for light to medium duty milling, true?
Looks great, but very expensive system. I assume it's a USA product for that price.

I use the Ultron Snap Change system. Here's the website snapchange.com/. It's a simple system that uses about 1" of spindle travel to change a collet. No adapters or power drawbar are needed.

The kit I bought was for a Bridgeport so I had to replicate the distance from the spindle nose to the drawbar seating surface on top of the spindle thus the need for the adapter plate and spool pictured below.
View attachment 258593

This is the kit I bought. It came with the special drawbar, the collet gripper, the rotation sensor (aluminum piece on the left), and 12 assorted collets.
View attachment 258596
The Ultron kit looks interesting. There's a base unit/clamp on Ebay for ~$250.

The Royal QC system is made in the UK. You can buy some of the parts from the UK distributor and save about 50 percent:

http://rotagriponline.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=173&Itemid=29

I routinely run 3/4" endmills in aluminum with 0.500 depth of cut and 60 percent of OD engagement no problem. On CRS and stainless steel, I use up to 3/4" 4-flute carbide endmills but depth of cut is limited to about 0.100. I also run a 3" diameter face mill that will cut up to about 0.050" depth in aluminum. There is a set screw you can lock tool holders into the master collet if you're really hogging off material - I've never had to use it.

FWIW, there is a Youtube video by a fellow called “hossmachine” that shows a mod he did to his bench mill that looks to be a poor man’s take off of the Mach-1 system. Uses a combination of Bellville spring washers and a Tormach TTS tool system. I haven’t tried it myself, but it does look tempting. Not sure I could justify it for my hobby machine, except it IS a hobby machine and hobbies don’t need no stinkin’ justification.

Anybody have any pros and cons to throw at it?

Tom

Note to Brento and the mods: If this is too much of a thread hijack, please move it to a new thread. Thanks.

No this is fine because I've seen them from hossmachine as well. I was trying to look up the price on his website but it seemed to be down when i looked last night. I will have to look up the tormach tts system right now.

Yea im liking the tormach system and looks easy to replicate and make my own holders so i may buy the the manual machinist setup and make my own holders later.

The only issue im finding is how to set unp the quick change system. I cant find anything on the tormach website for the r8 rod so do i make a beville washer setup? Do i make a power drawbar? I am liking that the collets are ER20s, i thought they were 32s.

Back