R8 spindle bore dog, pin or whatever it is sheered off

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen! That little key or whatever the proper name is that the side groove of the r8 collet supposed be located by sheered off inside the quill on my Chinesium lil 6x26 mill. It feels like it was just set screw or something. Should I be concerned or just tighten the draw bar goodntight ? Thanks a bunch!

Most don't worry about replacing it unless it makes collet insertion problematic. I don't have one in my mill at all.

And yes, it's a dog point set screw.

Gentlemen! That little key or whatever the proper name is that the side groove of the r8 collet supposed be located by sheered off inside the quill on my Chinesium lil 6x26 mill. It feels like it was just set screw or something. Should I be concerned or just tighten the draw bar goodntight ? Thanks a bunch!

Yep don’t sweat it. My Lagun had the key removed when I got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how your mill goes together, but I've replaced these on Bridgeports before. Less than an hour job, including modifying a regular set screw and cleaning old grime off everything. I've got no experience running without it, but it sounds like there's no issue with that - just lending my (sorta) relevant experience in case you do think about fixing it.

Note that this screw is not for driving anything. It does not have the strength to do so. It is merely for keeping the collet from spinning as you tighten the draw bar. The taper is what does all of the driving. Your choice as to whether to fix it. I like it in mine, but others do not.

Chris

I would certainly make sure what's left of it isn't sticking out on the inside or it may cause misalignment or damaged your r8 holders.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

First thing I removed on my mill...

I'd like to remove mine. It's damaged and causes some difficulty inserting and removing collets. We always removed them when I owned my shop.

Back