Race Car Repair and Upgrade

Only a three link rear end is allowed in this class, but you can pretty much configure it any way you want, the first pic is looking right to left, you can see the top link and the attachment of the J bar. Next pic, examples of lower links top; a simple turnbuckle with spherical bearings, mid; an old style swing arm with spherical bearings, this type needs one end disconnected to make any adjustments, bottom; a swing arm with an adjustable end, we are converting this car from the top one to the bottom. Third pic, my son Bryan making final adjustments to the suspension using a plumb bob and tape to locate the rear axel, the devil is in the details, it took him all afternoon to set the axel where he wanted it, last pic is the finished suspension, swing arm lower with the spring in front of the axel and the shock behind, the device where the spring is supposed to be is a spring slider, a linear bearing that eliminates a shock absorber, and is adjustable for spring pre-load and ride highth. By using a longer swing arm on the right side and a shorter one on the left and letting the body lean over in the turn we are inducing rear steer, similar to an articulated loader or forklift. This is supposed to help you get through the turn faster, it's all about chasing the latest fad.

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

A lot of parts and materiel came in last week so we can get back to the front. The bumper mounts, upper control arm mounts, radiator mounts, steering components and the new set of headers are installed, now we get to bend some tube and replace the front brace. A sleeve, made fron smaller diameter tubing is expanded and fit into the existing tube, and a butt weld completes the repair. It takes a lot of "Lets see how this is going to fit" to get it right, Bryan figuring out the upper shock mount. Work accomplished by quitting time. My job assignment: Build the cage for the new fuel cell.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

I got the parts for the fuel cell cage cut out but our main focus stayed on the front end. The devil is in the details, left upper shock mount, tab for header support, install the steering and assemble the linkage, set caster, camber and toe, build radiator mount, we're nearly finished, but all these small things take a lot of time.

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

More details; finished radiator mount, body mount for fender and hood, tab for brake line, steering penetration into cockpit. here's Bryan measuring an angle for the nose support using a Starrett Pro Sight angle finder, one of the handiest tools I've ever bought. With the front end finished we move to the back, install the fuel cell and finish the suspension upgrades.

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

Off the jig and on the saw horses, we had to remove the front suspension to finish some incomplete welds and we slapped a coat of paint on all the raw metal. Here's a shot of one of the front weight jacks, notice the ball swivel, one more way to reduce bind in the suspension. It looks pretty good pushed outside and loaded on the owners trailer, and it was outside only a short while when this one showed up needing the same treatment, looks like a busy winter ahead of me, thanks for watching everyone.

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Back