Rack stacker

Pescadora

Registered
Registered
While not exactly related to supporting the fleet boats, this project was more about improving throughput on the Traeger smokers. Lots of space above the grill for more fish, so to fill that space with additional smoking racks required a rack stacker. Smoked lake trout and whitefish are superb and demand is increasing.

Seven hours on the mill to make two stackers, each with two side plates. Truing the vise, locating the first piece and setting the reference edges on the DRO took some time. Milling the first side plate took a while also because the process required some method adaption in plunge cutting and slotting out the smoke ports. No 2-flute end mills on hand yet (back-ordered) and slotting with 4-flutes is kind of slow. First plate = three hours. Next three = four hours. A lot of chips.

Attachments

• Several hours on mill.jpg
    Several hours on mill.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Stackers ready for work.jpg
    Stackers ready for work.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Stacker in smoker.jpg
    Stacker in smoker.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191216_134742.jpg
    20191216_134742.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 46
Ok, now I'm hungry ;)

Welcome to the forums

JOHN

very nice! I strongly recommend a cyclone separator for your shop vac though :)

very nice! I strongly recommend a cyclone separator for your shop vac though :)

Such a good suggestion. Didn't even know such a thing existed. Had to google it.
Nice job. I need some of those for my Bradley

Quick napkin type sketch for a Traeger 20 class. Not much room for height so three racks was max. Big Chief racks perfect fit.

Attachments

• Rack Stacker010.jpg
    Rack Stacker010.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 15
Back