Radial arm saw grinder conversion

I made a little progress on this project. I got the drive shaft finished, and everything aligned and bolted down.

CKPl3xi.jpg

I built the drive roller out of 5 pieces of acrylic. I first cut out a rough circle and drilled out the center to the shaft diameter. Then I glued the pieces together with a length of shaft running through them for alignment. I was then able to turn the piece while it was on the shaft which made it easier as well as true to the shaft.

yioCUDQ.jpg

The roller is held on the shaft by two clamps, which I drilled a hole through and ran a screw into the roller. I also managed to mill a key slot into the shaft for the pulley and have it work on the first try. No big deal for you long time machinists, but it was a first for me.
Next is the belt tensioner, which should be fairly straight forward . I also want to add an adjustable work rest.

Ted

I got the thing basically finished, but was having tracking problems. I found that the adjustment roller was cocked off to one side. Once I straightened it out things started working better.
I think I may crown the drive roller. I can't get the belt to stay in the middle of the platen. It wanders to one side or the other. I found that getting the belt to run right where I want it to has been a challenge.

uYtnmox.jpg

I used the crank handle from the radial arm saw for my height adjustment. The whole assembly is a bit Rube Goldberg, but it seems to work. I tried about 4 different ways to raise and lower the arm and nothing seemed to work out right. This works but it is binding after I corrected the roller alignment. I probably should have built a whole new arm, but I thought it would be relatively simple to adapt this one. I've adapted it so many different ways now the steel looks like swiss cheese.

5g4yS5u.jpg

It's unique anyway.

The tracking still wasn't all that it should be, so I made the tracking roller adjustable from side to side. Now it has XYZ control so I can dial it in just perfect.
This was the addition I made:

K5ZgMBm.jpg

The bar coming back pivots on the bolt which swings the roller from side to side. There is a screw adjust since it is a fairly touchy adjustment. It's more of a course adjustment, with the tilt being the finer adjustment.

PVNwYTN.jpg

The amount of tension on the belt also affects tracking. I found that being able to tweak all three axis results in a very steady belt.

Back