Radio antenna, hope someone can help

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK folks I've run out of shop space and have been banned from my garage and run down to a shipping container I have. I've got it mostly done and moved into. I'm currently powering with a generator with hopes of getting regular electricity next year.

My problem is I would like to use my am/fm radio down there. There is a am/fm station that comes in down there when I'm in my truck but when I only try to use my radio I get no signal on am and mostly static on fm.

I'm thinking of putting up an antenna to try to bring a signal in but I'm totally out of my element here. Anyone with any ideas? Maybe a antenna on a wooden mast or a metal mast...I have no idea can someone help?

Attachments

• 20210906_135647.jpg
    20210906_135647.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210906_135702.jpg
    20210906_135702.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210906_135735.jpg
    20210906_135735.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210906_135750.jpg
    20210906_135750.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Maybe the snow is blocking the signals? : )

I've ran a speaker wire to a telephone pole ground wire for signal improvement and it worked well.

Use a dipole antenna for FM and a Long wire antenna for AM. There is plenty of info on the net on how to easily make these.

A long wire will do well for AM, for FM make a big loop several feet in diameter (you can squish it into a T-shape) and connect to the 300 ohm
terminals
Play around with the antenna location and direction for the stations you want to get
-Mark

The important point to remember is that the metal shipping container will act as a "faraday cage" and block any radio signals. So whatever you use for the antenna, locate it outside the container and insulate the lead-in wire(s) as it passes thru the container wall.

In my shop, I tried an antenna on the roof that has directional tuning, and still got poor reception especially on FM; since I only listen to music there, I finally bought an "Elexa" same as the one in my house, it works fine, but of course you need Wifi for it to work.

Radios designed for automotive use generally have higher sensitivity and better noise rejection. They are designed to use a less than ideal antenna as well. A visit to a local junkyard should get you one for peanuts. An old computer power supply will provide the needed 12 volts. You can even get creative and make a case to house it.

It looks like your shipping container makes a nice shielded room (aka faraday cage). Laboratories pay a lot of money for shielded rooms when they need to perform tests without interference from radio signals.

So, as others have said, move the antenna outside. It would be best to use an antenna that has a coaxial feedline rather than twinlead, as twinlead will be affected by proximity to the metal surfaces.

A mag mount whip might be good enough for FM. Just slap it on your container and run the feedline through a hole to your receiver.

I want to thank all of you that replied...I think I'll start with a long wire and if that doesn't work...I'll try a am/fm car radio with its antenna

Back