Radio antenna, hope someone can help

Amazon has a good antenna for not much money.

Your radio is 300 ohm so you will need an adaptor, 300 to 75 ohm.

A chunk of coax and a pipe then good to go.

Here is Ours with our weather station. Antenna is the horizontal ring about 12 to 18 inches diameter or so.20210704_113846.jpg20210704_120530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yup, Faraday cage.

I once went out on a job to a new client. When I arrived at the house I noticed that they had a faux tile metal roof and aluminum siding. There was a crew of men working around the outside as I went in. While working on the computer, I quickly realized that I had no internet. I asked about the modem and was pointed to one sitting in a window on the opposite side of the room. It was from one of the over-the-air radio frequency ISPs. It showed no signal. The client was perplexed, saying "we always get 4 bars in that window". On a hunch, I opened the sliding window, et voila! Four bars!
The crew outside was replacing all of the windows with Low-E dual-pane windows. The Low-E glass sealed the last opening in the Faraday cage. The ISP insisted on coming out and surveying before letting the client out of their contract.

FM signals pretty much rely on line of sight for reception. If you want a good signal,
mount a FM antenna with some gain on an outside pole and point it at the station you
want to receive. If you receive the signal from your vehicle, it would not take much
effort to get a reliable signal inside your "Faraday cage" shipping container.

Another advantage to making your own dipole, you can tune the antennas length to resonate at the Frequency of your favorite station, greatly improving reception.

Another option is a broadband antenna, such as a discone. I have one on the peak of our house and use it for FM radio, monitoring the local airport control towers and sometimes for ham radio on the 2m and 440 MHz bands. They are not very expensive and are simple to install.

You don't need an antenna. Drill a small hole in your storage container, put the radio outside and run some wire to an aux speaker for it on the inside :).

How about a car radio antenna and a car radio? You can get both for little money or free if you look around. The antenna is designed to use the metal building for ground and comes with it's own coax. You can get a cheap 12V power supply or recharge a car battery. I just sent 4 radios to the junkyard that have been laying around for years. The kids need the fanciest things with cameras and XM and the OEM radio never gets used again. CD players are OUT and USB ports are IN.

Radios designed for automotive use generally have higher sensitivity and better noise rejection. They are designed to use a less than ideal antenna as well. A visit to a local junkyard should get you one for peanuts. An old computer power supply will provide the needed 12 volts. You can even get creative and make a case to house it.

How about a car radio antenna and a car radio? You can get both for little money or free if you look around. The antenna is designed to use the metal building for ground and comes with it's own coax. You can get a cheap 12V power supply or recharge a car battery. I just sent 4 radios to the junkyard that have been laying around for years. The kids need the fanciest things with cameras and XM and the OEM radio never gets used again. CD players are OUT and USB ports are IN.
That's two votes for a simple car radio, the idea makes a lot of sense.

In my shop, I tried an antenna on the roof that has directional tuning, and still got poor reception especially on FM; since I only listen to music there, I finally bought an "Elexa" same as the one in my house, it works fine, but of course you need Wifi for it to work.
Your post about Alexa piqued my interest especially since we had the same type of issue, in both my house and shop, we just don't get good AM /FM reception, so I went ahead and got the Echo Dot (Gen3), it definitely solved the reception problem and the sound is excellent , I just wanted to thank benmycheree for pointing me in the Alexa direction and if the OP (mike8623) is still searching for an alternative , this or Google nest could be the answer.

Back