Radius/Ball turner build

This thread is a massive help. I am trying to do the same project and have not seen another one that matches how my lathe is built. Thanks for taking to time to document your work it means a lot.

Jeff

I like the t-slot idea. How many rpm's is the lathe turning?

Thanks, don't remember what I had for speed, I need to use Bob's Tach & check all the belt settings & RPMs

Soon as I get my mill to my shop & hooked up I will get back to this project, I think I will start fresh as I have some other ideas & made a few mistakes

I must admit I haven't wrapped my brain around the first part yet but then I'm not in that mode right now, soon as I get setup to work on it I'll get a grip on it.

I built a large one for big balls. Can do 6" on my 15" SBL...Bob
I have lots of how to make pics and the blue prints.

ball_turner3.jpg big ball[1].jpg

Got the ball turner/radius turner finished or at least working really good. Drilled the center hole bigger and installed brass bushing. Milled two slots so the hold down bolts for the compound help hold it down and allow me to swap from compound to turner & back without having to disassemble the whole cross slide:biggrin:

I tested it on this piece doing a convex & concaved radius blending them together, turned out really nice, I'll post a video this evening.

DSC00456.JPG DSC00457.JPG DSC00460.JPG DSC00464.JPG DSC00465.JPG

Glad you got its sorted out, I need to finish mine.

Paul

I really don't have any drawings but could make some I guess. This was made from parts/scrap on hand that lent ist's self to this project. There are some changes that I would make if building another. I'll work on some drawings

Don't know about the used cow sign but I'll hook you up with a nice bar napkin drawing:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Back