Radius from breech/chamber cylinder.

chrism

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I would like to know how folks go about cutting the radius from the straight contour of the chamber/breech cylinder down to the primary taper of a barrel. I thwant to do this to a barrel on a rifle I am currently building. I think I have a clue on how to do it. First I would cut some steps from the chamber/breech cylinder down to the primary taper. The blend them in with a half round file. My question is when I have the barrels in between centers should have the tailstock offset to match the primary taper or just leave the tailstock in-line? I know that there are better ways to do this with the making of a fixture (I have the plans for). But my access time is limited to the machine's and am looking for a down and dirty quick way to get it done.

Thanks! Chris

If you are cutting a taper and not a curve then I'd just use the compound if it was long enough on the machine.

If you are cutting an arc segment to blend the two then perhaps a profile cutter and blending with files, prior to polishing.

Steve

I would use the compound even if you need to move once or twice.
when you get that tailstock lined up so its not cutting a taper don't move it.
if you want to cut tapers get a taper attachment or make an offset live center out of a boring head.

Back