Radius Turning Tool...

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
I have been waiting for months for this item to be back in stock:

https://www.micromark.com/product/8059

Now it is available, I am curious for anyone else who is experienced with these, if this one is worth it, or if there are major issues that may become apparent. I don't have all the tools available to just make one myself (yet).

I have one I made like that. I have a 12x36 lathe so the steel is 3/4 thick.
It does the job.
They are not the most rigid so have a sharp cutter.
The price seem real good.

I also have the same cutter. Does the job but is a bit tedious.

The price seem real good.

Thanks. I was afraid you all were going to say the price is a rip-off or something to that effect. LOL.

I will see about ordering it later today. Thanks again.

So! I finally attached the ball-turning tool to my mini-today. Now, for the good and the bad…

There were a few issues apparent when trying to get this right into my toolholder post. Most notably, is that the shaft to hold the tool is extremely short. Even on my mini-, only 2 of the 3 screws can screw down to hold the unit firm into place.

This seems unacceptable to me, as rigidity is a key point for any lathe. Even if there is no loss in rigidity, why have only 2 bolts do the job that is designed for 3 at a minimum? I am not sure if there is any good reason for such a short shaft. If my carbide tipped tools all are used by 3 screws, why should this tool use any less?

Another thing I did not like, the unit is off-center. This MAY BE because looking at the SLOT in the tool (where the round HSS bit swivels through) causes a weakness. If the unit was moved higher up to keep the bit on-center to the item to be turned, the slot would add more weakness to the tool over-all.

A problem for me now is that I’ll have to shim-up the whole tool somehow, and I already don’t like I can only grab it with 2 bolts. Even worse, I am not so sure my bolts have enough grip for something shimmed up so high.

Ohh, and a little other issue… Notice the handle for the tool, gets into the way of my tool-post handle as well. Another issue. At least I can unscrew my other handle for a temporary fix. So not the end of the world there.

Ohhh and another problem… I’ll have to adjust my compound somewhat, as even when pulling out the max, I can not get the HSS bit far back enough to cut my material. It is still too far out front of the toolpost.

My solution, was to just cut the material from BEHIND it, forcing me to reverse the direction of the material’s normal cutting rotation.

Ohh, and another problem. My material was only 15mm max (going from memory here). yet you can see that is ALMOST too big, and comes close to rubbing into the actual tool itself. A problem that can be remedied though if I can somehow shim this up.

Ok….

That said, I did do a test today, and at least somewhat of a positive result. I was expecting a total disaster here, but it did cut rather well for me. Granted, we are only cutting into aluminum here, and not Stainless Steel, which is what I would prefer if I can push limits high enough.

I have a result to show, and will do more tests and trials during this week. Cutting was actually a bit of fun, maybe because I was not even expecting this mikey-mouse unit to even manage that. Granted though, I am not an expert on using these tools, so this post is just ramblings from an amateur so far.
first issues.JPG
first cut.JPG

You might have had less chatter/problems with the work extending no more than twice its diameter from the chuck.

Definitely need to lift it up so HSS tool is at center.
I bet if you do that it will clear the other handle also.

I didn't have much chatter problem (yet). But I am also wanting to cut grooves with this tool, so I can't have it too close to the chuck.

That said, this may not be the best radius tool for cutting grooves, but if someone knows of a good groove cutter for the mini-lathe, I'm willing to listen.

BTW, ahah, just realized that yes, shimming up will probably give clearance with the handles. I still am a little annoyed that the product didn't at least come with it's own shim of sorts, I'll have to find some pieces.

Back