Randy Richards Dovetail Cutters?

He said that its real time,no 10x

I have one. It is very nicely made and does an excellent job of cutting dovetails, in aluminum, cast iron, and steel in my experience. Randy is a friend of mine, a truly nice guy and an extremely knowledgeable machinist. Randy worked as chief engineer on large ocean tankers, now retired. If the main engine failed, you weren't going anywhere until you got it running again. He can make or fix anything. I paid for my dovetail cutter, and don't owe anything to Randy. Just posting an endorsement from knowing Randy and working together with him. Talk to Randy, the dovetail cutters like to be run FAST.

It would probably work well. I made one with a TCMT insert. His insert choice, with front clearance is better (I ended up grinding some front clearance). I was happy with the result, but the tool really hammers because of the long cutting edge. I probably should have used a larger shank (5/8") - but at the time, that was the largest collet that I had. The entire set up needs to be really solid.

DSC02675.JPG

DSC02678.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

DSCF9770.JPG

DSCF1938.JPG

Last edited:
It would probably work well. I made one with a TCMT insert. His insert choice, with front clearance is better (I ended up grinding some front clearance). I was happy with the result, but the tool really hammers because of the long cutting edge. I probably should have used a larger shank (5/8") - but at the time, that was the largest collet that I had. The entire set up needs to be really solid.
The one I got uses TPGB321 inserts. Because the cutter is going round and round the inside of a fairly small radius, it needs a lot of relief behind the cutting edges. The inserts in your pics appear to not have enough relief. Lathe inserts will NOT work for rotating cutters doing inside work.

Thanks guys,one of my first projects that I want to try is tool holders for my QCTP.I was watching several Youtubes came across his video.So I need one for this project,I may pull the trigger and get a good quality cutter from Randy.Randy makes two sizes,Bob do you have both or small/large cutter?

Thanks guys,one of my first projects that I want to try is tool holders for my QCTP.I was watching several Youtubes came across his video.So I need one for this project,I may pull the trigger and get a good quality cutter from Randy.Randy makes two sizes,Bob do you have both or small/large cutter?
Don't know. Randy only had one size when I bought mine three or four years ago. Mine uses a 3/8" inscribed circle insert, and has a 5/8" shank. Beautifully made...

Back