Range rods

This is a range rod, but I only have 6mm and 308

Thanks for the pic.
Having not seen or used one I was flying by the seat of my pants.
Mine are short and I made two and figured on indicating on them from both ends of the barrel. (barrel must be long enough to clear the back end of the spindle).
I have done a couple that way (for myself) with gage pins.
These were built on a surface grinder and are as long as will fit in my between centers fixture.
I can see I need to build the next ones on the cylindrical grinder. The taper would be easier to do on it also.

I positioned them to show the oops I made in the one closest to the pen. It's far enough up the taper to not effect anything, course you wouldn't want your indicator there.
20170331_074005.jpg

Have you given Deltronics pins. The come in a set of 25, 0.0001 increment based on the center pin you specified. These are 3 inches long, but they offer then in 6 inches long for a small price.

Have you given Deltronics pins. The come in a set of 25, 0.0001 increment based on the center pin you specified

Nice sets. I thought I had plenty of pin gages. Guess I only need about 1,000,000 more for a full set.
I'd like to have up to 1" so probably 1,500,000 more.
20170401_081934.jpg 20170401_082053.jpg 20170401_082622.jpg

I would like to have every machinist tool known to man, but I'm just a hobbyist and I'm not sure where I would store all of it.....:) Not sure the guage pins would work the same way as a range rod, but it would be handy to have a set for other measuring tasks. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm a rank amateur and every little bit I learn here will probably be put to use sometime......

Bob

I would like to have every machinist tool known to man, but I'm just a hobbyist and I'm not sure where I would store all of it.....:) Not sure the guage pins would work the same way as a range rod, but it would be handy to have a set for other measuring tasks. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm a rank amateur and every little bit I learn here will probably be put to use sometime......

Bob

Bob,

Any pins or rods are just to start the dial in process, the final for me is using the long reach Interapid to dial the throat area. Most of the times no final tweaking is required.

I do not run the Deltronics pins all the way, just 2 inches in since I do most 223s, and I use the stick out to dial back and for the between the front and rear spider.

Samples of chambers finished with stated procedure.

Last edited:
Back