Rant time !

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My future partner showed up for his first day of work today . Showed no interest in the job . Knows absolutely zilch about pnuematics , hydraulics , machining , no mechanical aptitude etc . Didn't know what a 1/4-20 bolt was . Fell asleep at 10.30 am and 2.30 pm in the office . Bosses saw this and nothing was said . I'm wondering if he will be invited back for a second day . Had a 12 pack of wrenches with him . Uhhhh ...................he probably is making $25 an hour . After meeting with some of the members on here I believe our company could have made a better choice . I was pretty happy with place but I SURE am not going to pull this guy along on nightshift and keep a plant rolling . Rant over .

Tell your bosses you're concerned he'll get a finger chopped off and then sue the company- they'll can him

How do these people get as far in life as they have? While others have to work hard and really apply themselves.

He could be suffering from depression ,people like that tend to sleep a lot ,the dream world is easier to handle than the real one.
Dr Ken signing off.

I've encountered many people like that in an old factory job I had. I was the shift lead hand and the lead machine operator (not a machine shop but a production shop) I've had more people fired than I can count because they were useless. Mostly temporary workers. I was appalled with the lack of effort put forth by the vast majority of workers. No one cared about making a decent living.
I was more upset with the fact that these people were often brought on to help me. I ran a production line that required 6 people including myself as lead. For 2 years I ran that line with 3, sometimes 4 people because it was just easier to work my ass off and run most of the line myself because it would get done right, and break downs were minimal compared to having someone else "help".
I can ASSURE you, I completely understand what you're going through. Its deflating when you put your heart, blood, sweat, and tears into a facility to have them treat you like crap, abuse your drive, and ultimately throw you under the bus and end your 7 year career there... Even if you did have the highest efficiency and production records (still unbroken, I've been told). I made that facility millions...

My first day when i went to a machine shop i would admit i didnt bring any tools with me. BUT i was fresh out of college and going into a job that was opposite of the career job i applied for. Next day i brought in allen wrenches sockets and basic tools that i thought i would need until i brought in a small tool box to bring a few more things in. Unfortunately it took me a year and half before i got onto a mill mainly bc i didnt know if i was allowed to or if they would train me. Luckily i had an engineering supervisor and a nice co-worker who was higher up that was willing to teach me here and there.

I feel your pain. One of my coworkers just left, and my job got easier. Lol Is it bad to say I’d have given him the best reference possible in order to move him on down the road?

Back