Rant time !

Some people make you smile when they show up, some when they leave, in the last two years of my ex-job I had one problem child (59 years old) on my crew. I think the company kept him just to make sure I would retire, 6 months after I was gone they fired him. I hate to see anyone loose their job... but some people... I better quit now.

They move into management.

Ouch!
I'm management.

Wasn't my choice. The company I was working for was bought out. The new owners ran a union shop. The only way for me to get what I needed to support my family was going management. I hate it, but my family obligations severely out way the alternative.

Sorry. Obviously not all managers are the same. But, where I work some of the folks that make it to management positions are just
incredibly incompetent and they NEVER get rid of them.

He could be suffering from depression ,people like that tend to sleep a lot ,the dream world is easier to handle than the real one.
Dr Ken signing off.

I suffer from major depression. I come to work every day on time. I don't leave early. I work sometimes when I am sick.
I am on so much medicine most people sleep from it.
Sorry, I don't buy into that excuse. I have worked here over 24 years.
Is it tough some days? Sure. Do I feel like crying, or jumping out of the window? Sure.
I have kids, I press on.

I hear you Nelson, of course I can only use my own experience with people near and dear to me.
going to work may actually be an exit or a temporary release from chronic depression to some but there are cases when the person who is suffering , can not hold on to a job or even have a job to begin with because of that disorder.age of the person also makes a huge impact on how to deal with depression.
My suggestion to that person actually was/is to find some type of work. even volunteer work in my opinion might be most helpful.

I quit a job once. I had a single roll away bottom box there and was driving my 87 Camaro.

I took my tools and removed the front seat, emptied the contents of the box into the car, and put the tool chest in where the front seat was.

They didn't think I'd quit. It was on a Monday and I started a new job on Wednesday. I'm still at that job after 8 years now.

One of my last jobs before Blessed Retirement was as the Assistant Maintenance Manager at a cannery.

One guy on the crew was a middlin' good maintenance man but a HUGE pain in the butt as a (alleged) human being. Grouchy, argumentative, couldn't get along with anyone, looked on every job assignment as a personal insult, file a grievance with HR if you looked at him wrong. We called him "Triple R"...among other things.

The entire crew, including me, worked an on-call rotation. You spent a week with a pager and were on call 24/7. Calls in the middle of the night because some bonehead on the cleanup crew had run into a water line with a forklift were not uncommon. Calls at 0h-dark-thirty because the boilers were out were also frequent.

One week, RRR was on call and got a call that the boilers were out. Instead of saddling up and dealing with it, he called ME because "you only live 5 minutes away". (He lived about a half-hour away).

"Yup," sez I, "but I'm not on call, you are. Deal with it."

After calling me everything but a human being, he slammed the phone down. Seeing as I didn't get further calls that evening, I assumed he'd gone in and re-lit the boilers.

Went to work the next morning and went out to the shop as usual. RRR's toolbox was gone. Talked to one of the night cleanup crew guys and he said RRR had showed up with smoke coming out his ears, re-lit the boilers, grabbed a forklift and dumped his toolbox in the back of his truck and peeled rubber leaving.

Had I known it was that easy to get rid of him (firing him would have been nearly impossible given his predilection for HR complaints) I'd have done it months earlier...

Interesting that my and PHPaul's posts were moved here where it looks like a random post. I thought they followed the pic in the joke of the day thread perfectly.

Back