Rapid Air Compressed Air System For Your Shop

Once you go with those type of fittings, you will never go back to anything else. Being able to push the air line into the connector and yet, pull it back out if need be should you need to change something down the road.

I agree. At my last job I ran a lot of air lines on automated production machines with those type fittings.

I used the rapid air "fast pipe" when I built the shop. It went in quick and has performed great for the past 3.5 years. The fast pipe I used came in 19' lengths and uses teflon fittings. The fast pipe is powder coated (blue) 1" extruded aluminum rated around 200psi. Mark (mksj) used the rapid air system to plumb air in his shop and likes it. If you use the rapid air, you'll need to pre straighten the coil if you want a clean install. I would also order extra wall clamps as it has a tendency to sag a little on long runs. They sell a straightening roller but I've seen guys push it through a section of conduit that works well.
Heres some pictures of the fast pipe system if your curious what it looks like.
IMG_0464.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0523.JPG

Paco,

Do you know if the "fast pipe" is available in 1/2"?

Ken

EDIT: Found the "fast pipe" in 3/4" still looking

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion but when has that ever been a deterrent to chiming in?

Several years ago I upgraded / upsized my shop compressor and put it into a doghouse outside the shop so new air lines were needed. At that time I researched what kind of piping to use for shop air and toyed with the idea of using PVC or CPVC water pipe for compressed air. The consensus was 'don't' because the stuff would explode and shatter if you bumped it under pressure. So at that time I went with copper and have been happy ever since.

Subsequently I saw the (what appears to be PEX) air line and fittings but was still leery about using it due to the warning about PVC and other plastic for air lines.

After that I re-plumbed some of the water lines in the house with PEX - and fell in love with the stuff. And boy is it tough! The only down side is that you shouldn't expose it to much sun- or UV light as that degrades the piping.

We're all pretty aware of the general quality level of HF goods.

So, long story short, if I had to do shop air again - or if I expand what's there - I'll do it with the air-rated plastic piping. Easy-peasy!

Stu

Ken
I have the kit in the first link you posted. Very easy to use and I’ve had no leaks. My install was real simple, just a drop to my four post lift and one to a hose reel above my bench.
No regrets with the purchase at all.

Paco,

Do you know if the "fast pipe" is available in 1/2"?

Ken

EDIT: Found the "fast pipe" in 3/4" still looking

Ken,
At the time the smallest fast pipe was the 1". The coils start at 3/4" and smaller. I needed 1" since I ran + 300'. It adds about 2.5-3 gallons by volume and ran a loop system.

I installed the Maxline system about a year ago, the pipe is flexible and uses an aluminum tube coated with plastic on either side. Uses barbed fittings with a compression ring. Very happy with the system, well made and have had no issues. I went with the 3/4" tubing because I have a run a bit over 50' with two drops along the way. Also I use a larger 2 stage compressor the pumps out 17+ CFM and there would have been too much pressure drop with some high CFM air tools otherwise. The Maxline M3800 is there 1/2" kit which should work fine for what you have outlined, providing your distance is under 50'. As gr8legs mentioned, I have heard too many bad tales of using PVC and other tubing not rated for sustaining continuous air pressure. It can be pretty dangerous if something fails. I would recommend going with the Rapidair or Maxline systems, both are well established and have quality products. Be aware of the ID and OD of the difference systems, the 1/2" Rapidair 90500 has an ID of 3/8" and an OD of 1/2" with a maximum pressure of 150 PSI, the Maxline 1/2" system M3800 ID is 1/2" with an OD of 5/8" with a maximum pressure of 175 PSI. Air flow is significantly affected by the pipe ID, so if you are using any high CFM tools, you may want to go with a larger tubing size. Also need to figure out the fittings and the drops, I needed to order a few extra fitting for their 3/4" M7500 package. If you do not need the CFM then the 1/2" Rapidair 90500 would be the way to go.

20170208_075225.jpg

I found the Rapid Air system a few years ago at Northern and installed it in my garage at my old house. I was very happy with it because it worked good and was easy to install. You do have to straighten out the coil like somebody else said before you put it in but otherwise was really good. I just moved to this house six months ago and still have to set up my shop in my garage. I don't have my air system set up here yet but hope to next summer. I plan to use Rapid Air again.

Paul

Back