Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

HF 90 amp Flux Core Mig Welder using Lincoln Innershield 211, .030" wire is a
Pass:winner:.
90aA_FCAW.JPGvisemountwelded.JPG

Although it is by no means made to be used where life and limb is at stake.

But if you're trusting your life to a $100 welder, there's not much help i can offer you
anyway.
thanks for reading!
mike:))

visemountwelded.JPG 90aA_FCAW.JPG

Last edited:
I took a risk on the 1-Ton gantry crane.
Im still here with all limbs intact and the mill made it safely down to its new home = PASS
e3yve8yz.jpg
tevu5yry.jpg
bamuhyva.jpg

Got it on sale with coupon for $500. Since then they jacked the price now more like $750. Still worth it IMO

7-1-2" Chicago Electric buffer = PASS
For $30 I had low low expectations. Use every year to buff/wax the boat. 3 seasons still goes roundy round.

Auto Darkening welding helmet = PASS
Use for occasional TIG welding. $49 I can still see althoughmy vision has been deteriorating lately.... Hmmm

e3yve8yz.jpg

tevu5yry.jpg

bamuhyva.jpg

I finally came up with something I wish I'd never bought.
image_11841.jpg
the powder coating system from harbot freight, though most powder coating systems are probably like this.

first it creates an unholy mess with the unused powder going all over everything.
then after curing in my shop oven. my shop smells like every dog in Maine, including their cousins the coyotes and maybe even a moose or two took a dump in there. now every door and window is opened trying to air it out, and get the smell out. WOW! does it stink.

the finished product is OK, but not great, no even good enough for me to even want to consider doing it again. I'll stick to the duracoat system for painting gun parts / metal.

did I mention it stinks?:thumbzdown:

image_11841.jpg

Fail - 115 piece Titanium Drill bit set. Drills not consistently hardened. Had one catch and untwist.
View attachment 47170
Fail - AR-8-RH carbide tipped lathe cutting bits. Junk.
Fail - Tire changer. Only thing good was the bar which well works as good as a bar.
Fail - Every air tool. Buy an Ingersol Rand impact wrench and compare to HF's. No contest. Most of the air tools don't work right out of the box.
Fail - Box end wrenches. Had one split while tightening a header bolt. That was a bloody mess.
Pass - O-ring assortment, cotter pin assortment.
Pass - welding cart
Pass - 4 1/2" angle grinder
Pass - bearing race install tool, slide hammer.

Most of the HF stuff is of poor quality. I use them mostly for mostly sacrificial tools.

I have found the same with their cheap drill bits. Was drilling a 2" deep hole with a 1/4" drill bit and it started making a funny sound. When I pulled it out half of the spiral had been reversed. The guys at our shop didn't think that was possible until I showed them.

Here's my HF stuff:

4x6 Saw----pass (after a little help:whistle:)
20 Ton press----pass
4 1/2" angle grinders------pass I have one that is very old and it just won't quit. Switch burnt out very shortly after I bought it...no parts available...just put a toggle switch in it and it's still going.
electric chain saw sharpener---pass
2 Ton shop crane---pass
Rolling cart that has been severely abused---pass
Mig welder cart---pass (after some help)
Auto darkening helmet-----?? Replaced it with another brand, but still use it some.

There's more, just can't remember them right now.

HF 90 amp Flux Core Mig Welder using Lincoln Innershield 211, .030" wire is a
Pass:winner:.
View attachment 47701View attachment 47700

Although it is by no means made to be used where life and limb is at stake.

But if you're trusting your life to a $100 welder, there's not much help i can offer you
anyway.
thanks for reading!
mike:))

I picked up one of those at a local cheaper than dirt store for around 40.00 for a friend about 2 years ago. He gave it back to me about 2 weeks ago cause he can't weld any more do to health reasons. It still works good.

Paul

Here's my HF stuff:

4x6 Saw----pass (after a little help:whistle:)
20 Ton press----pass
4 1/2" angle grinders------pass I have one that is very old and it just won't quit. Switch burnt out very shortly after I bought it...no parts available...just put a toggle switch in it and it's still going.
electric chain saw sharpener---pass
2 Ton shop crane---pass
Rolling cart that has been severely abused---pass
Mig welder cart---pass (after some help)
Auto darkening helmet-----?? Replaced it with another brand, but still use it some.

There's more, just can't remember them right now.

Forgot the 2 hp dust collector------big pass

Bought a air powered flooring nailer a few years ago. My friend and I put a lot of floors down with it. Lets say I beat the x out of it. Well he has a bosticx and it jams all the time. My HF nver jammed. It works great. When I did research on it, it was cleanr that is came out of same factory as portex cablx. There are many HF tools I have bought some good some bad but in the end I think I have actually saved money by buying there. After awhile you leanr what not to but there like drill bits.

Have a great day!

Ed

6 Piece Mini Pliers Set item#94931 FAIL!

6 Piece Mini Pliers Set Pittsburgh Professional - item#94931 FAIL! Bought this set for my wife for jewelry making. Edges of the jaws are very rough, I filed then down to make them useable, metal is very, very soft. They may be ok for bending soft wire but that's about it. They were cheap but even worse than I expected. Save your money and buy better tools.

I have purchased the cobalt drill set 6 years ago and have been very happy with them , they are a lot better and on sale $99 right now.
steve

Back