Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I've got (3) identical 24x36" surface plates, ~350lbs each, sitting on dollies on the apron in front of my shop.
(2) are sitting on new "1000lb" dollies from HF purchased last week, the third one is sitting on an older one, purchased a few to several years ago.
I just went to re-locate them closer to the door, and the older one moves just fine, easy to control.
The two new ones? - forget about it! The casters on the new ones suck, no two ways about it. I couldn't control them like the older one.
I even moved them back out and try rolling them around to see if I'd picked up some debris. -nope.
With the older one there is no problem controlling the load. The new ones fought me tooth and nail.
I don't think I would care to have a load that was pushing a 1000lb on one of these new ones.
I realize that it is all about price points, but *gads* keep the casters a decent quality.
The older one is sitting up about a 1/2" higher than the new ones.
<End Rant, I'm going to go soak my bones now...>

Be sure to leave a detailed review. If past history is any indicator, it appears they read them and try to address the recurring complaints.

The two new ones? - forget about it! The casters on the new ones suck, no two ways about it. I couldn't control them like the older one.
I even moved them back out and try rolling them around to see if I'd picked up some debris. -nope.
With the older one there is no problem controlling the load.

I have noticed this too - which has made me reluctant to buy one of Freight Harbor's well-reviewed rolling tool cabinets because I worry that the casters will develop flat spots or not swivel very well. The casters on the 4-wheel dollies seem to me to be made of something approaching Jello after being in use for a while.

It is probably a price point issue - I have a couple of 'Peerless' dollies (one 15+ years old, one purchased last year) that are still amazingly maneuverable. But at 3 or 4 times the HF price.

Time will tell and of course YMMV.

Stu

I have noticed this too - which has made me reluctant to buy one of Freight Harbor's well-reviewed rolling tool cabinets because I worry that the casters will develop flat spots or not swivel very well. The casters on the 4-wheel dollies seem to me to be made of something approaching Jello after being in use for a while.

It is probably a price point issue - I have a couple of 'Peerless' dollies (one 15+ years old, one purchased last year) that are still amazingly maneuverable. But at 3 or 4 times the HF price.

Time will tell and of course YMMV.

Stu
I would say that from what I've read and seen in reviews on YT the cabinets are much better.
Saw some pretty extreme applications on videos.
I was looking seriously at one before I scored the old Kennedy and a junker Craftsman a few months ago.

I've been very impressed with the quality and durability my HF tool cabinet.

I have quite a few HF tools both large and small and for the most part are worth what I paid for them and more. I also have a HF circular saw blade sharpener that I hate because of the shelf room it takes up and for the waste of money it represents.
Did i say that I didn't like it?

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
8 Ton Long Ram Air/Hydraulic Jack

Pros:
- 20% coupon was valid!
- Pretty well made, nothing shoddy or 'rough' on it.
- Cylinder rod is 1.33" dia. vs. 1.10" dia. of the old one.
- Air hose and valve are good quality.

Cons: None yet.

Notes:
- Check it at that store and make sure the release valve screw is not mangled. Mine was punched through the cardboard.
- Lube the air cylinder before use.
- Check the hydraulic fluid level in the cylinder. Mine was shy by 7-8 ounces (.2-.24L).
(This fell under the header of 'RTFM', Section 6, Page 6 under IMPORTANT: :confused 3: )
Got it all installed, hooked up the pancake compressor to it, and away she went, to 15"(38cm), er, should be 19"(48cm).
Checked the fluid and sure enough, there wasn't enough. (Then finished reading the manual... :grin:)
- Best to have a big compressor, it likes it's CFM. (still have to repair the motor on my big one. *SIGH*)

Last edited:
Just bought one of these today. Was working under my 2 post lift trying to get the six speed trans and cross member fitted into my Nova and got tired of messing around with a floor jack.

Went together without problems which is unusual for HF products and is very heavy. It made positioning the trans very easy. With the 20% off coupon it was $69

stand.jpg

I have both the orange 4-1/2" and 7" angle grinders. I love them both. They get a lot of abuse and just keep churning.

I also purchased their jigsaw with the laser guide. I have made the straightest cuts with that jigsaw that I have EVER made.

I have about two dozen of their 3/4" pipe clamp sets that work just fine. Occasionally, one of the pipe clamps will be bad out of the box, but they have a lifetime guarantee, so I just take them to the nearest store and exchange them.

I recently purchased their 20-TON hydraulic press (the GREY version, not the ORANGE one) and I just LOVE it. I find myself pressing stuff together and apart far more that I imagined I would. Heavy force fit? No problem, just machine everything to their tolerances and press them together!

Back