Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I have to give the HF sump pump a huge FAIL. I bought one on the 24th of last month and it rained once and it seemed to be working. Went out yesterday and the motor was running but nothing coming out of it. So I took it back and exchanged it, put the new one in and it worked like gangbusters...............for a few hours then it seized up.

Went and got my money back and got a Zoller at Lowes. Hopefully this will keep my shop from being flooded.

Ever since I bought 2 of their 2hp motors a few years ago for my lathe and Jim Dawson and I treid to get them working and they were both bad I've always said I won't ever buy anything from HF that plugs in. I went against my rule, got burned again.

I'm fan of the HF tool boxes, I find them to be a good value. Here is one I modified using 1/4" angle iron to build a frame with cross supports, welded with 6 heavy duty casters to carry the weight of the boxes and tools. The pieces all drop into the frame without having to modify the boxes, making it easy to take apart if you need to move it.

Attachments

• HF Tool Box Frame.jpg
    HF Tool Box Frame.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 27
  • HF Tool Box.jpg
    HF Tool Box.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
I needed a seal driver to put the new seals in my ford 9" housing. Seal is recessed and really didn't want to make one so bought e from HF.

I have to give it a fail. Other than the arbor it's entirely made out of plastic. You are supposed to put a large washer on and then the plastic insert on. I couldn't use the large washer, so just tried the driver that fit.

The plastic just bounced, didn't do a thing. Ended up making one for a one time use.

I bought a Rotary hammer drill. I was removing the chiminy from my house, when I got to the bottom the bottom 16+ inches was filled with poured concrete making a solid 24 x 18 x 20 concrete block. this hammer was able to chew thru it to get me down below the floor so I could pour in a new flat floor. The tool was then used to break out a big hole in the floor to dig a trench for a new sewer line. It also did this with no complaint. I may (hopefully) never have to use it again but buying this was cheaper than renting a similar tool from a big box store twice to do these 2 jobs. I am pleased with how it performed, I rate it as a PASS. I bought it with just these 2 jobs in mind.

I bought a Rotary hammer drill. I was removing the chiminy from my house, when I got to the bottom the bottom 16+ inches was filled with poured concrete making a solid 24 x 18 x 20 concrete block. this hammer was able to chew thru it to get me down below the floor so I could pour in a new flat floor. The tool was then used to break out a big hole in the floor to dig a trench for a new sewer line. It also did this with no complaint. I may (hopefully) never have to use it again but buying this was cheaper than renting a similar tool from a big box store twice to do these 2 jobs. I am pleased with how it performed, I rate it as a PASS. I bought it with just these 2 jobs in mind.

I had one of those for several years. It was either rent or buy for 100bucks for one job. After several projects including a neighbors, still going strong. More that a pass.

I have the older version of the same tool. It's worked well for me. Among the "unusual" uses I've found for it is breaking up some nearly rock-hard "soil" (caliche?) in an area next to the driveway, where the PO of my house used to park vehicles.

Does anybody know what is going on with the 30 gallon plus air compressors? I was thinking about getting a bead blaster, but HF has removed every electric-powered air compressor large enough to power the bead blaster from their online catalog. I have no idea what that says about their ability to supply repair parts for any compressor prior to their removal.

Hey, we're talking $12 here! ($9.60 with 20% off) But for the money, they are fine. No, they are not B&S or Starret.....but they are under $10!

63033_zzz_500.jpg

I think there are many nice things and good prices at Harbor Freight. It is always worth a close look as to why some products are lower price and if it is acceptable to you. I bought a brass hammer that had "CHINA" stamped crooked in large letters and probably a second due to that. Was ok with me and I bought it. I have seen some plastic or rubber things that were giving off a strong smell as if the plastic or rubber compound was not mixed right. I bought some wire that never lost a strong bad smell and regretted it. Pick it up and if it is softer or harder than it should be or has a strong smell may not be the thing for you in the house, but maybe so for the outdoor barn and worth it to you.

Not everything is a second or not good enough for retail but some things are. Some worth the buy some not.

Otherwise we are very fortunate to have two Harbor Freight stores in town and I have many things from there.

I bought an Icon Hex bit socket set. It has really worked well for me. Even when the bit has spun in the hex cap bolt the driver seems fine; no rounded off corners of the driver.
Hex bit driver set

Back