Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I don't buy much from HF but I have two of their US General roll around boxes that seem quite good. But they have been raising the prices of those a lot.

I bought the 350lb welding cart this weekend on sale for $89. Put it together yesterday and to my surprise all the bolts. nuts, parts were there. For me that a first when buying something from china.

I only had to run a 6mm tap through one thread insert. I like the way they pressed in threaded inserts and didn't use a bolt and nut on everything. The cart seems sturdy and my 80cf argon cylinder fits well and the chains hold the cylinder pretty stable. I have my yeswelder 250 mig on it and the cart was clearly made for a larger welder. HF has a 100lb cart but it's total crap. I have my tig on one and I spent a lot of time making braces for it to make it stable enough to use. My 120cf cylinder is barely held on to the cart. I have is secured with ratchet straps.

Good cart

BAD pile of crap

Last edited:
Here in CA we are going through “catch up”. 5yrs of drought then a winter of 250%+ of normal rainfall. This is great except my 1.5yrld Portuguese Water Dog HAS to get two walks a day rain or shine. If it’s raining outside he acts like it’s invisible unlike every one of my previous dogs. I have gone out in absolute gully washers that every dog I’ve ever had would turn around and go home, not this guy. So I decided my silly rain gear was totally inadequate and I needed a rain suit. So I checked the site and HF has one of $10. The old HF it would have been a one time use plastic throw away. This set is heavy, and water proof. I have been out in two downpours and came home dry except for condensation. My only complaint is the totally Mickey Mouse setup for the hood as the cinch is just a string with nothing to really hold it in adjustment. Had to tie in a bow under my chin. Stil a crazy deal for $10.

1672693920575.jpeg

I bought the 350lb welding cart this weekend on sale for $89. Put it together yesterday and to my surprise all the bolts. nuts, parts were there. For me that a first when buying something from china.

I only had to run a 6mm tap through one thread insert. I like the way they pressed in threaded inserts and didn't use a bolt and nut on everything. The cart seems sturdy and my 80cf argon cylinder fits well and the chains hold the cylinder pretty stable. I have my yeswelder 250 mig on it and the cart was clearly made for a larger welder. HF has a 100lb cart but it's total crap. I have my tig on one and I spent a lot of time making braces for it to make it stable enough to use. My 120cf cylinder is barely held on to the cart. I have is secured with ratchet straps.

Good cart

BAD pile of crap
I have a similar cart to the 'bad' cart (The version with drawers, but I ordered it on amazon), and it is absolute garbage...

I wish someone sold a 'weld-together' cart kit that wasn't prohibitively expensive!

I thought hard about making a cart and thought it would be good welding and fab practice. But where I live I have to have virtually everything shipped in I can't buy at Walmart, and wait over a week for it. A kit would be nice, but I think there isn't any profit in it and not much demand either.

So rather than make a cart I just bought it. I may buy a second one and put the other one at the curb with a free sign on it.

It will disappear much faster with a $10 price tag on it.
Not around here. If you want anything for it, it will sit. Free, no matter what it is if you post it on CL it will be gone within an hour.

I guess I should put a $10 bill on it, but they will probably just take the $10 and leave me holding the bucket.

Back