Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

The small HF welding cart is sorta getting a bad rap here. Sure it is lightweight and not all that substantial but it is made for a SMALL welder. I have one for my HF Easy Flux 125 and it works perfectly for that. TIP : Once the cart is assembled and square use said Flux Core welder to touch up the joints and it will stay where it belongs

" A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't" (quote stolen from Matt at "Diesel Creek")

We had some big weldments come in from “an Asian“ manufacturer. For fillet welds, latex caulking under paint looks like the real thing - makes you look like a welder that actually welded.

Back on topic +1 for the US General tool boxes. After 35 years, replaced my Craftsman’s with a 44” bottom and 26” top box (more drawers). The wrench holders, notched type, didn’t work for me. The vertical pliers storage rack works good.

I'm like everyone else, I have a love-hate relationship with Harbor Freight. But in all honesty, I never buy their power tools without extensive research. I love the orange angle grinders, they have sealed bearings and last forever. The cheap $9 grinder only has bronze bearings so it does not hold up to long usage. I am at the point where I no longer go to Harbor Freight because I have all the tools I need. The prices are spectacular, especially when combined with a coupon. HF tools: 4x6 power tools: 4x6 bandsaw, mill/drill 3386, 8x12 metal lathe, 12x18 wood lathe, drills, angle grinders, abrasive wheel cutoff, and circular saw.

I have a used 7x14 HF metal lathe I bought from a second hand store for 85 bucks.
Do I like the lathe,, not at all.

I'm like everyone else, I have a love-hate relationship with Harbor Freight. But in all honesty, I never buy their power tools without extensive research. I love the orange angle grinders, they have sealed bearings and last forever. The cheap $9 grinder only has bronze bearings so it does not hold up to long usage. I am at the point where I no longer go to Harbor Freight because I have all the tools I need. The prices are spectacular, especially when combined with a coupon. HF tools: 4x6 power tools: 4x6 bandsaw, mill/drill 3386, 8x12 metal lathe, 12x18 wood lathe, drills, angle grinders, abrasive wheel cutoff, and circular saw.
that cheap $9 just got worse recently. They now have a plastic bearing holder, the metal head case is not as stout, and is open to the world. The gear is now super small, with small teeth, and is 2 pieces gear and shaft (loosely fitted) , and comes with barely a drop of grease.
What was useable is now total garbage.

that cheap $9 just got worse recently. They now have a plastic bearing holder, the metal head case is not as stout, and is open to the world. The gear is now super small, with small teeth, and is 2 pieces gear and shaft (loosely fitted) , and comes with barely a drop of grease.
What was useable is now total garbage.
They still price it a $9 just to lure people into the store, but yes, it is junk. Even the button that locks the head to change discs is broken.

Back