Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I purchased a band saw blade welder 5 years ago ( no longer listed) that is still going strong.

spot welder(110 volts)

10 ton press does every thing I need.

Sand blast cabinet, have wore out 2 nozzles but the cabinet is great.

Had a inverter TIG welder until I moved up to a miller but it also preformed well.

Air riveter works great riveting AK receivers.

Tool carts/all do the job.

Shop supplies

HF is good to me

I have had good results with my tools from harbor freight and one bad. I try to check reviews on the web before making any large purchases.
The good tools if gotten are as follows

They sell a set of carbide mini drills and rasps is what I believe the package says around 7$ they are actually drills and End mills about 20 in the package. These are 1/8 shank micro drills and End mills the drills seem to be carbide tips brazed to a steel shank I have gotten from .012 to .125 diameter. The end mills are solid carbide 2 flute I think I have gotten .018 to .125 diameter. The sets are a mix of tools and sizes I look for the larger sizes and more end mills. Some sets seem to be more drills then ems. I have used these for production parts when I needed a size we did not have on hand I have used them on invar, kovar, aluminum copper and plastics they work as well as the "real" tools that sell for 5$ or more each. This is by far the best thing I have ever gotten from HF for the money

A blade for my 12" bandsaw I think it's a 42" blade with fine teeth not sure of the tpi but it's better then the one I got at the big orange store. Cuts aluminum, magnesium and plastics well my saw runs to fast for steel but the package says it can cut it

The 20$ reciprocating saw always on sale or a coupon. I have had mine for over 2 years and use regularly I have cut steel aluminum wood and most recently used it to cut roots from 20 tree stumps I was digging out of my lawn. I had it plunged into the dirt up to the front hand guard and filled with mud and dirt still works fine. I wouldn't have even tried that with an expensive one

The cheapest oscillating saw I think it was 20$ as well I bought it to scrape carpet and glue off a concrete floor worked great. I have also used it to cut wood and plastic molding and pvc pipe it cuts fast and nice clean cuts. I use hf blades which have worked well except when a contractor my wife hired decided to use it with the included blade to try and cut steel it destroyed the blade but I bought a metal cutting blade and it works fine.

A set of metric and standard stub length and regular length box wrenches on sale again for around 20$ . They have taken a lot of abuse I bought them to remove ahead studs from a vw vanagon engine. Some of the studs were so tight I had to double nut and weld the upper nut to the stud then used a pipe over the wrench and the wrenches had no damage at all.

The 1.5" 14 amp electric wood chipper I think it was 120$ I used it for weeks chipping the branches from 20 , 20' ceder trees it chipped anything I fit in. It was a very light wood so I don't know how it would work with harder woods. It would jam once in a while usually when jamming a bunch of smaller branches in at once. Easy enough to open and clear out. The blades came loose after about 10 hours I do not think they were tight enough from the factory I tightened them and they stayed tight.

Other cheaper tools which I have bought and work well include a rivet gun, screwdrivers, wood chisels, sawzall blades and more I'm forgetting right now

The bad items follow

A 18 gauge nailer stapler air powered less then 20$ the first one I bought shot 3 staples then gave up. I returned to a different store and got another with a different lot number on it and has worked well jamming once in a while but it may have been due to me loading nails in the wrong side I haven't used it since I discovered that but a contractor who worked on my house used it instead of his own porter cable?

Guess I lucked out on the 4x6 bandsaw. Only had it about a month or so, but it cuts straight, the cutoff switch worked fine right out of the box with no adjustment. I did buy a spare bimetal blade but the blade is cutting 303 stainless just fine for now, so I guess i'll leave it on there. I haven't adjusted anything. we'll see how long this lasts

HF/CM chainsaw blade sharpener. Works nice, a hair fussy with the clamp but once you do one chain you can do the next in minutes.

HF 18" handle crescent adjustable wrench. Very nice, I have groinked on it with no fails. Cheap, too.

I like to buy their wrench sets, and disperse them individually around the shop attached to the machines that need set up all the time. Much better quality than the stamped wrenches that come with the machines, and always right there where and when I need them.

I own a complete mixed bag of tools, including Snap-on, Craftsman, Husky, SK, Thorson, and many others. I don't have any allegiance to any brand, as every brand has their winners and losers.

I *always* check the on-line reviews before I buy a HF item to see if it is OK, or "junque". Usually you can tell if the tool needs a minor alteration, or is just a fail. Some of the reviewers are very knowledgeable, and some are clueless. You can usually tell if you read between the lines.

I've been using the hand held infra-red laser thermometer for years with excellent results. I originally bought it to monitor the turkey fryer temperature, but use it for all kinds of things now. Great for monitoring powder coat oven temps.

The carbide tipped cutting tools (lathe) are brittle and usually chip on the first couple of passes. I won't buy them again.

I bought the $10 (4 1/4") diamond cutting wheel (it comes with a red abrasive wheel in the same pkg) that I think is a replacement for their chainsaw or circular saw sharpener. It works excellent on my 5" grinder for sharpening TIG tungstens and touching up chipped carbide tipped cutting tools.

I bought the little bench top drill press at least 10 years ago (it cost $45 back then), and it has worked OK. Not very precision, but usable. It hasn't broken! It does complain a lot when it is very cold, though.

The cheap tarps, bench brushes, and batteries are regular favorites.

The little coin cell batteries are dirt cheap, and last a long time in my Igaging DROs, and garage door remote controls. The 24 packs of the alkaline AA and AAA batteries ($5 with coupon) work good, and I've been using them exclusively instead of the name brands. It works out to about $20 for 96 batteries.

My $125 (1/2") Craftsman digital torque wrench broke after 6 months of use, and Sears informed me that it had a 90 day warranty. I bought the HF 1/2" torque wrench and it has been working great for over a year. It only cost me $20. It is used mostly for lug nuts, with an occasional set of head bolts thrown in.

I like the 6" dial and digital calipers, although the digital one times out and shuts off while I'm making a pass or two on the lathe, and that is annoying. They seem to be fairly accurate. Also have the digital angle gauge. I just used it to level my lathe in the garage. I was impressed with it's sensitivity. It also likes to shut off while I'm making adjustments, and that is annoying. I would rather just buy more batteries.

The dial indicators are good for centering work in my 4 jaw chuck, and I certainly wouldn't feel as bad about damaging one as I would with my Starrett or B&S.

The little 9 LED flashlights are awesome. At a buck (on sale) you can have one everywhere. Out of a couple dozen, I've only had one bad one.

The LED headband light is a fail, though. If you bump it at all, the light part separates from the headband and falls, breaking open and scattering the batteries on impact.

The 3 piece set of folding allen wrenches (SAE, Metric, and Torx) are pretty good. It is handy to have them next to the lathe or mill, and the tips have lasted better than my Craftsman T-handled allen wrenches.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Your mileage may vary.

GG

As others have said, you have to look carefully at what you are buying. Also, the listed capabilities are blatant propaganda. And you frequently have to tweak their tools to get them to perform satisfactorily.

That being said, I have had some successes and failures with them.

In my younger days I mostly went to Sears for tools I used at home, discount department stores for one use items, and the many industrial suppliers we had around here for work tools. Each of these were priced accordingly, though we did get a price break by being located near so many major manufacturers (Starret, Brown & Sharp, etc.). Now in my opinion Sears quality isn't what it used to be, though the prices are also not as high comparatively. So I basically believe there are three price ranges now: cheap, really cheap, and very expensive. I think we all know where Harbor Freight falls in this scheme.

With that as a background, here are thoughts on Harbor Freight items I have purchased:

PASS C Clamps: You can never have too many. Also it pleases me when I don't have to use an assortment of sizes that aren't exactly suitable. I like them a lot.

MAJOR FAIL: 1,000 Pound pickup truck crane (60732): I used it once to pick up a 350 lb item. It was set in the 750 lb position. The cheap cast collar on the jack shattered and the thing was stuck in place.

PASS Axe (937757): Good blade, solid, it chops.

PASS Flashlights (69112): For Free or around $1.00 each these are fantastic. I keep them near machines so one is always handy for a quick peek at something. I also mounted one in a short section of pipe using a binder clip and a small hose clamp. I can set it up and aim it at the piece I am working on, leaving my hands free.

PASS Pick set (66836): Very handy for cleaning small areas/recesses in parts.

PASS Moving dolly (39757) Good for schlepping things around, especially as I got mine for $8.00 on sale.

PASS 5 gallon shop vac (94282): I got mine on sale for around $35.00. I use it on my woodworking tools to suck up sawdust and in the shop for general cleanup.

PASS 2 drum rock tumbler (67632): Bought one when I was in Afghanistan, which has a large number of interesting rocks and minerals. Used it throughout my deployment for myself and other guys. Bringing back unfinished rocks is illegal so a lot of guys got to keep free souvenirs due to this machine.

PASS Ear muffs (43768): Great for the price (around $4.00). I wish I had used these when I was younger so I wouldn't have some hearing loss now. I always strongly encourage using hearing protection.

FAIL Wire brushes, both hand and tool mounted: I think they stick the wires on with school art paste. They seem to fall of almost immediately.

FAIL Hacksaw blades: Don't cut well and wear out fast. Irwins are a much better deal.

PASS Bench grinder (37822): The tool rests and wheels are junk, but the grinder itself has served me well. I put Norton stones on it and fabricated a better rest for the fine side. I use no rest for the coarse side as I generally grind freehand.

There are probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Charles

As Mr. Spencer says (interpretation) there a some good values to be had at HF and some total failures. I have noticed that over the past several years that Harbor Freight is marketing towards more consumer products. They sold some very good Russian made MIG welders about 10 years ago that were excellent. Of course, one would have to make their own replacement parts; once they discontinue something, and that is often, forget any parts or service. HF has discontinued a lot of commercial/industrial items. They don't sell wheelbarrows any longer (?).

As to the mention of hacksaw blades, I couldn't agree more. However, I do want to note that I bought some very reasonably priced 3" T-shank jig saw blades, "Warrior, Item 68929"-21 tpi metal cutting, and I have found them to be outstanding for cutting metal. I have cut 3/16" mild steel plate and some 14 gauge with them. They out perform the expensive equivalent Bosch made in Switzerland by a noticeable factor. I don't want to overstate things, but these are the best jig saw blades for metal I have ever used. I just hope that the next batch I buy is from the same labor camp and heat treated in the exact same fashion, or I will be eating crow on here.

Regards, Geoff Morgan

Hi Friends,

I will be the first to admit that I am a tool snob. Years of using tools in industrial maintenance, I'm more comfortable with the quality name brands. I would never buy anything that my safety would depend on (ex. electrical meters) or many precision measurement tools (calipers). However, in my opinion, HF is a great source for "seldom use" tools. They also sell some excellent quality tools.

Below is a partial list of my P & F HF tools:

1. Parallel set (#789): Pass+. I paid around $22.00 with a coupon. Thought they would be fine for my level of milling preciseness. They preformed well and found them to be very accurate after measuring a couple of sets.

2. HLVP 20 oz. gravity feed paint gun (#67181): Pass+. For around $11.00 on sale you can't beat it. I bought one 5 years ago to paint a motorcycle (I'm not a professional painter...I just pretend to be one). After setting my pressure, flow & pattern, It gave me as good a job as a $200.00 gun. Currently I use it to paint wood & metal working equipment in my shop.

3. Any of their vises. Mechanics, machine, or woodworking: Fail-. I restore vintage American vises so I can compare them. HF vise castings are way too light. The jaw movement is waaaay too sloppy.

4. Hammer drill (#69274): Pass. My wife bought one for me on Christmas a couple of years ago for around $70.00. I've used it 3 times with no problem. I couldn't rent one for a day at that price.

5. Open side hose reel (#46342): Pass. I've had mine for 7 years and it's still doing it's job. I didn't like the crank handle that it came with, so I replaced it with a high quality one. Be sure to blow out the ports before you use it. You might find shavings in it.

6. Low profile transmission jack (#61232): Pass. I bought mine around 10 years ago for a one time job of rebuilding a transfer case. Since then it got me through 4 clutch jobs. The only issue that I had was the retaining collar on the jack screw, which was replaced.

7. Any of the LED flashlights: Pass+. I use the 27 LED light when I go pickin' for tools & equipment in a barn or shed. The ones that you get for free with the coupons, I use every day.

Happy trails

Back