Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

the comment above is the key to harbor freight as well as all items from china. you can buy it and it's fine, and the next one exactly like it you get will be absolute junk....then the next may be good ...or not! apparently items are made in batches by any "factory" available at lowest cost. the next time you get something it's from a different source and of a different quality altogether. it also seems, to me at least, that in some cases the failure of the tool, for example, was predictable and intentionally hidden. I have had poly line break that was obviously cut in a way to not be visible..I have found the hot line in a tool placed against the metal handle so that when the trigger was pulled, you got the voltage not the motor.
with ANYTHING Chinese, you are the quality control. In most, but not all, cases, you can inspect and correct as necessary and wind up with a useable item at a really good price. :>)

Just got the issue of Home Machinist and Harbor Freight has this Tool box in it on sale for $99.99. Great buy and a very solid Tool box. I have 2 already but might pick up another for that price.

image_24261.jpg

I have one of those. That's what I paid for mine too. It's awesome. You'll never find a better tool box for that kind of money, or even for two or three times that money.

GG

I have a HF $150.00 cement mixer that I use with S.S. pins for a tumbler to clean brass for reloading...3 years still going strong.

do you know the only problem i had with the 4x6 band saw was? I just could not remember what size the replacement blade was (64 1/2) and it was not marked anywhere on the outside of the saw. Sooo i took a big black sharpie and fixed that problem. I remember NOW, but the sharpie fix is still my favorite mod. Also Lowes has a high quality bimeatal blade for $11 but you got to grab em quick.

ive had some trouble with the bar clamps that have the plastic parts. but the other ones are good.

i got the $40 OBDII scanner. I keep wanting to get an upgraded one, and keep talking myself out of it. the $40 one has never failed me and, and payed for itself 100x over. All my buddies borrow it, for there check engine light problems, and its never failed any of them either.

i have a canvas tool bag i got from them that ive been abusing for almost 20 years, i wish i could still get them there.

i got my girlfriend the 130 piece basic home toolkit, because she didn't have so much as a lousy screw driver around her place. That little kit gets so much use

do you know the only problem i had with the 4x6 band saw was? I just could not remember what size the replacement blade was (64 1/2) and it was not marked anywhere on the outside of the saw. Sooo i took a big black sharpie and fixed that problem. I remember NOW, but the sharpie fix is still my favorite mod.

I've noticed Tubal Cain/Mr. Pete does the same thing.

Just Got the Pneumatic 18Ga Nailer/Crown Stapler from HF----PASS:aok:
excellent function, low air consumption, worked as intended.
no adjustment was necessary- plug and play!!!!

on a related note:
i also got the 18ga brad nailer previously, it also was a PASS:aok:

I bought a roofing (coil) nailer on sale a few weeks ago... tried it over the weekend. :aok:

I have NO plans to install a shingle roof... however for the price it was a deal ($35)... no box.

the comment above is the key to harbor freight as well as all items from china. you can buy it and it's fine, and the next one exactly like it you get will be absolute junk....then the next may be good ...or not! apparently items are made in batches by any "factory" available at lowest cost. the next time you get something it's from a different source and of a different quality altogether. it also seems, to me at least, that in some cases the failure of the tool, for example, was predictable and intentionally hidden. I have had poly line break that was obviously cut in a way to not be visible..I have found the hot line in a tool placed against the metal handle so that when the trigger was pulled, you got the voltage not the motor.
with ANYTHING Chinese, you are the quality control. In most, but not all, cases, you can inspect and correct as necessary and wind up with a useable item at a really good price. :>)

I actually find better tools that are plastered with made in China then the made in China that is hide behind a is company. There are several tools I've tried from us companies that just weren't worth bringing home. At least they were consistent tho & were all junk.

Make sure you actually do get what you paid for. A turd may be made by a American in the USA but I wouldn't want it anymore then one made by the Chinese.

Back