Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I used the coupon from the Hobby Machinist mag and got another one on Saturday.
Great roller toolboxes and they are heavier then what Sears sells size wise and cheaper also.
Also happened to stop at Home Depot and saw this one. I let the better half know to put it on Christmas list.
They had both together for $699
Come with a 6 outlet power strip in the top and on the outside of bottom chest. Very well built and rolls very easy.

b578b445-132b-4af9-9238-0df05237989a_400.jpg
4b510b1e-f52e-488c-9a3a-0cb4b2bca310_400.jpg

b578b445-132b-4af9-9238-0df05237989a_400.jpg

4b510b1e-f52e-488c-9a3a-0cb4b2bca310_400.jpg

8 piece drill bit set (#61802). Sizes from 9/16" to 1". Used the 5/8" bit to open up some bushings with no problems. For 25$ with coupon, I can't beat it for my needs. I give it a pass.

8 piece drill bit set (#61802). Sizes from 9/16" to 1". Used the 5/8" bit to open up some bushings with no problems. For 25$ with coupon, I can't beat it for my needs. I give it a pass.

I don't know if mine are the same item number but I have a set like that 15 years old now that works great. They even take nice clean looking chips out of cast iron instead of that nasty dust.

Funnel tray, item number 37081. $3 Big pass! I've found it indispensable since I first bought one a couple months ago.

I think HF would get a lot of walk-in business if they offered this on one of their "free" coupons. How many multimeters does one person need? And it wouldn't cost them very much to do so. But then again, it won't cost you very much, either.

I went to HF yesterday for a couple things and just browsed around. I came across a set of 3 T-Handle Tap Wrenches. I don't remember the exact sizes of taps that each wrench would cover (listed on the box), but there was a small, medium, and larger size in the package. They were in a white box and came in a pouch. I took them out and checked them over very carefully. They looked very well built and the finish was excellent and they were "heavy", substantial in weight. The thing about them, though, is that they were NOT made in China. They were made in India. If I were in the market for a set of tap wrenches (I have plenty at the moment), I would have jumped on them. They were $7.99 for the set of 3. Seems like a pretty good deal. I went in there looking for a grinding wheel for tungsten carbide, which they didn't have. I also discovered that the set of boring bars that is shown on their website is not carried in their stores nor did they didn't have any cutting fluid, either. And they didn't have a carbide scribe, either. I also saw that they started carrying the China-made Jacobs drill chucks now. The local one in my area has a parking lot sale coming up in mid-October and the 4" or 6" digital calipers will be marked down to $9.99 and I'll be picking up a set of those, at least.

This weekend (9/25-27), HF has what I call 'big blue' on sale... a 700# rated two wheeler hand truck. It has LARGE wheels... and is easy to use. I plan to get one... the plastic one I have from HD is not heavy enough for some uses.

Sale price is $39.95... regular is, I think either $50 or $60.

I don't live real close to a HF store but I do buy from them once in a while. My biggest purchases were the large 2.5hp tile saw for $195.00 when I was doing a bath redo. The saw worked really great except the blade from them was NG. They did let me return the blade for full refund. I purchased a guality blade from a tool supplier near me and the saw did great aftyer that. Also bought the 12 ton press for $99.00. This press is fine for what I needed but did a few changes to make it my own. When I bought the press I also purchased some casters that were on sale to put on the press and they seem good for the price.

Hey Charles. That sounds like good advice and it makes sense, as I have had to modify other Chinese goods I've purchased over the years to bring them up to snuff. If I do buy those HF calipers, I'll heed your advice and give them a good going over.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought some stuff from Victor Machinery Exchange and one of the things I bought was a VME caliper. It was on sale and figured WTH, I'll give them a shot. I never did anything to those calipers such as you suggested and they have been working flawlessly since purchase. I check them with gauge blocks all the time and they measure accurately and repeat each and every time. I've dropped them a time or two, I hate to admit, and luckily they have landed flat each time, so no harm to the edges on the jaws, but even with the abuse they still keep working and functioning properly. Maybe I got lucky with them since, I think, they're Chinese made also. The only thing I've had to do is replace the batteries a few times. Based on my experience with them, I'd buy them again.

On a contrary note, I have a Starrett dial caliper that broke on me. Something with the mechanism. I took them to Starrett for repair and opted against it because of the cost. I still have them.

Back