Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I am unabashedly a HF fan, I buy a good bit of 'stuff' there...

I think I have 2 items that jump out as a super bargain and astounding wearability -

First would be the 4 1/2" angle grinder (orange one) that sells for around $15 - I have had mine for some 10 years and it just wont seem to wear out, its a bit noisy now, but still chugs right along, whether grinding, cutting, sanding, etc.

Second would be the air die grinders in the straight and angle versions that sell for around $15-20, I have 5 of the straight and 3 of the angle with different mountings - with a cut off disc being one of the more handy tools in my shop, with a 3" sanding disc being awfully handy, also grind stones carbide cutters, etc. Here again, I have a couple that are some 6-8 years old and they just keep a going.

Nothing comes to mind right off as to 'bad' stuff. Tho there is some crappy stuff there, it seems to be less common than in the past (as does the import tools across the board)
I too have the orange one and I have had it for about 12 years. Had to take it apart once and grease it. But still works even took it to work for about 2 years and used it as a cut off saw on rebar. That is a good one.

Purchased the 6 ton jack stands today because my others are under my sand buggy. Had to do the brakes on my F350. Well the job is done and I did not get crushed. Pass
They are pretty well built. The box says ANSI approved, but there is no sticker on the stand that refers to it.

Purchased the 6 ton jack stands today because my others are under my sand buggy. Had to do the brakes on my F350. Well the job is done and I did not get crushed. Pass
They are pretty well built. The box says ANSI approved, but there is no sticker on the stand that refers to it.
Ansi may be the name of the Chinese inspector. lol.

After reading through this thread a bit, it motivated me to sit down and think about what I have bought from Harbor Freight and would give the Pass to

· Torque wrenches (1/2” & 3/8”)

· 2 ton low profile Heavy Duty Floor jack

· 4.5” angle grinder

· 7” variable speed polisher/sander

· 44in. 13 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet

· ½” in Professional Air Impact Wrench

· 20 Bin Medium Portable Parts storage case

· 10 in sliding Compound Miter Saw

· 1500 Watt Heat Gun

· ½” breaker bar

· ¼” Air angle die grinder

· Automatic Battery Float Charger
off the top of my head this is what I have/have used and never had 1 problem or complaint with. As you can see I have a addiction to Harbor freight :) the only thing I wouldn’t buy from there would be their wrenches or sockets I would spend the little extra for a little better set :)
Evertime you go make sure you take your coupons/20% off coupons and your coupons for free items. Their free volt meter works great, 25ft tapemeasure is awesome and even their cheap LED flashlights provide plenty of light and yea and did I mention they are all free with the coupon :)

I own several HF tools mostly woodworking so they don't get used much. But I do have a lot of hand tools screwdrivers, wrenches, and such mostly because they are cheap and they keep the kids away from the Snap-On and Craftsman boxes. But one thing I do buy at HF and probably nowhere else is grinding disks, cut off disks they have the best price and they do last a long time. But I do notice now they have a professional grade of tools now not sure if it is any better or worse price didint change much. I just bought a 1/2" drill and it is basically the same as my old Black and Decker that burned up. I also have a 12" Sliding Miter saw that I bought about 2 years ago. I had a 12" Yellow One with the Big D. and it was $400 used and the HF saw is better cuts better angles not as loud easier to adjust. But I would say that if you are the average home owner you cant go wrong. You have to do what you have to do when you are trying to make it out there, not everyone can buy Dewalt, or Milwaukee.

After reading through this thread a bit, it motivated me to sit down and think about what I have bought from Harbor Freight and would give the Pass to

· Torque wrenches (1/2” & 3/8”)

· 2 ton low profile Heavy Duty Floor jack

· 4.5” angle grinder

· 7” variable speed polisher/sander

· 44in. 13 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet

· ½” in Professional Air Impact Wrench

· 20 Bin Medium Portable Parts storage case

· 10 in sliding Compound Miter Saw

· 1500 Watt Heat Gun

· ½” breaker bar

· ¼” Air angle die grinder

· Automatic Battery Float Charger
off the top of my head this is what I have/have used and never had 1 problem or complaint with. As you can see I have a addiction to Harbor freight :) the only thing I wouldn’t buy from there would be their wrenches or sockets I would spend the little extra for a little better set :)
Evertime you go make sure you take your coupons/20% off coupons and your coupons for free items. Their free volt meter works great, 25ft tapemeasure is awesome and even their cheap LED flashlights provide plenty of light and yea and did I mention they are all free with the coupon :)

They have a line of socket and ratchet sets that are made in Taiwan that are nice. and they are lifetime warranty
. upload_2015-11-24_21-37-10.png

I bought a couple of those hand, squeeze-type clamps from HF. You know, those black, plastic ones with the orange pads on the clamping fingers. Can't remember the size exactly, but about the medium size ones. Anyway, I went to use them a couple days ago and immediately, after placing one of them on the two pieces I wanted to clamp together, the end of one of the fingers broke off and went flying across the garage. It wasn't just the orange pad that came off, it was the black plastic finger that snapped. I do not believe I was overworking the clamp. I used the other one and it did its job. Perhaps they can be inspected carefully before purchasing to look for defects.

I've never used those but there is serviceable items along with junk not worth bringing home.

I bought the dust collector after reading the mixed reviews. I ended up with mixed feelings on it. For the price is give it a fail. It doesn't have much suction. A fan in the window would pull as much dust.

Back