Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I saw this idea on another forum, and it is a great resource.

So here goes, of the Harbor Freight tools that we use as home shop machinists, which ones are satisfactory (pass), and which are not (fail)?

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I am unabashedly a HF fan, I buy a good bit of 'stuff' there...

I think I have 2 items that jump out as a super bargain and astounding wearability -

First would be the 4 1/2" angle grinder (orange one) that sells for around $15 - I have had mine for some 10 years and it just wont seem to wear out, its a bit noisy now, but still chugs right along, whether grinding, cutting, sanding, etc.

Second would be the air die grinders in the straight and angle versions that sell for around $15-20, I have 5 of the straight and 3 of the angle with different mountings - with a cut off disc being one of the more handy tools in my shop, with a 3" sanding disc being awfully handy, also grind stones carbide cutters, etc. Here again, I have a couple that are some 6-8 years old and they just keep a going.

Nothing comes to mind right off as to 'bad' stuff. Tho there is some crappy stuff there, it seems to be less common than in the past (as does the import tools across the board)

<sigh> There's a HF store not a mile from me and I am loaded with discount coupons. Temptation, get behind me!

The 4 inch orange angle grinder (saw a vote for the 4 1/2 inch, haven't used it but I notice there's lots more accessories for 4 1/2 inch grinders, should have bought it instead) is the pink-rabbit-with-a-drum of inexpensive tools...I have one and there are 3 at the machine shop in our rail museum and they just keep goin' and goin....

Doesn't apply to machining, but their heavy-duty power planer is a real nice tool and beats the Crapsman one I've had for years....OTH their 1" sanding belts for my small belt/disk sander last maybe 30 seconds before they come apart. Can't win 'em all. Have to admit, for the price, most of the things I have bought there have been good value.

I'm 65 miles from a store. I do like to look at their stuff as sometimes I find a nasty surprise.

Once I mail ordered a bunch of 1/2" pipe clamps. They were terrible!

I have the tool grinder and I like it. I have a hand full of 4 1/2 and 4 inch angle grinders. They have performed very well. I bought the chain saw sharpener (electric) and I'm pleased with the results.

I once heard of a fellow taking a HF digital caliper down to the Boeing tool room and laughingly asked them to tell him how bad they were. When he retrieved it the tech told him there was no problems with it. It met all requirements. I have a drawer full of them.

I bought the 5 drawer service cart the other day. I like it a lot.

I have a hand full of various air tools. They all work pretty well. I'll have to admit my Porter Cable brad driver jams a whole lot less than the HF or CH ones.

I like their cut-off wheels, the flap sanding wheels, and angle grinding wheels. You don't feel bad wearing one out, then tossing it.

I have the pipe bender which makes pretty poor bends. I have the tubing bender that makes pretty nice bends. I got a plashing hammer on super close out, but I haven't used it much.

One time they had a large window auto dark welding helmet on clearance for about $20. I ordered one right away. Some people got them, some didn't. I was lucky. I use it all the time rather than my older big window Jackson EQC. It's a nice helmet.

I'm sure I've got a 100 other things, but I don't think of them right now. If you can hold it in your hand, you have a bit leg up on getting something useable.

I saw this idea on another forum, and it is a great resource.

So here goes, of the Harbor Freight tools that we use as home shop machinists, which ones are satisfactory (pass), and which are not (fail)?

Nelson

I think it's a great idea. I often look for information before I jump at buying something, especially at Harbor Freight.

Being a hobby type, I don't put any of these things to a real hard test, but I've been very happy with the 4 x 6 Metal cutting bandsaw. I did a little tuning to the roller guides, replaced the blade with a better one, and built a stronger stand, but it has worked well for about 3 years.
I have one of their abrasive cutting chop saws and even though the trigger switch failed this year, they sent me a new one for a few bucks, it has also served me well.
I just bought the tool grinder mentioned above. There was a chip out of the wheel on the left side, and they are sending me a new wheel at no cost. I will replace the wheels anyway with better ones, but I can't complain about their service.
I'm careful what I buy from HF, so I haven't bought anything over $10 that I wouldn't recommend.

Tim,,,

The 4x6 horizontal band saw is a pretty good deal and i use mine about every time i'm out in the garage...
I plan on buying another one sometimes and mounting it on a vertical stand.

i bought a manual tire changer for a atc the first tire i mounted and went to break the bead and the bead breaker arms bent in half, straightend them out and welded some cold roll bark to help suport them can break car tires with it now lol, made the best of a bad situation lol

The 4 inch grinder, I have never paid more than $9.95 and have only killed 2 in 20 years after abusing them badly. There flush cut hand trim saw is real good for flush cutting on wood. The tile saw is a good deal and its on its 3 remodel on same blade $39.95 and still salable in garage sale:biggrin:
There diesel compression checker works as good as any I have used and only $39.95.
18 Ga brad nailer, still trying to wear it out :drool: There plastic hammers are good if on sale.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Back