Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

If you're talking about their bar clamps, I bought about a half dozen in 18" and 24" sizes when I was working on my kitchen cabinetry. They were cheap and I needed a bunch of extra clamps at the time. I believe that all but one have broken. There is just not enough meat in the plastic to deal with the forces applied. To be fair, I expect a lot from a clamp and probably over-stressed them. My Wolfcraft clamps have held up through the thick of things without breaking. I also have four of the old fashion screw typ bar clamps from HF and have not had a problem with them.

Bob

I don't know about the bar clamps. The ones I was talking about are those "squeeze-type" clamps. I think they have them in either plastic or metal. The metal ones cost a little more. The come if a few different sizes. They're like a glorified clothespin if ya know what I mean, just little larger.

Several years ago I bought one of those large, Chinese made tool chests, upper and lower. I didn't buy it at Harbor Freight, but you could tell it was the same thing they sell, only with a different name on it. It has the "Remington" name on it. Probably all made by the same manufacturer and they just put a bunch of different names on it. Anyway, I will say it's extremely heavy duty and weighs a ton. Everything still functions correctly on it (casters, drawer roller slides, locks, etc). I have a lot of tools in there that weigh a ton and a half and its holding up well. The side handles are chrome plated, or at least were. Their chrome is JUNK! It blistered and has been flaking off since it was a couple years old. Both side handles. Red paint seems to be holding up OK, though.

I bought a 4 1/2" right angle grinder there (chicago electric brand?) in 1995, and I still love it. I forgot to pack it on my way to a welding job once, so I stopped at a local Walmart and picked up a Black and Decker. The HF grinder is so much quieter and smoother running, even after 20 years of abuse!

We can all say what we want and most of us have all the big names, Snap-on, Craftsman, Dewalt, Milwaukee, and others. Does the HF tools match up? That depends on the use and owner. I have a 12" sliding compound saw made by Ridged, and a Dewalt, both are pretty good as long as they stay in the shop. I have a HF 12" saw that travels with me all over the country and cuts great. I have had over the last 20 years probably 30 4" grinders all makes and models, but my orange HP Chicago electric grinder is still in the gang box and use it almost everyday, makes a little noise have to grease it once in awhile but it still going strong. But somethings you just cant beat, air hose, grinder discs, etc. I will also say that Ive bought some pretty good tools at HF and I have bought some real junk. But I dont think it is you get what you pay for because I have done the same thing with all of the big names, if it is an electric tool it is a crap shoot.

"1 HP 7 In. x 12 In. Hydraulic Feed Metal Cutting Band Saw, Item #97009" was my most impressive purchase from them. I used the 20 percent coupon and saved about $175.00. The saw works very well, cuts straight and I like the cutting fluid pump system it has. I had to "fiddle" around with the automatic shut-off to get it adjusted. I recommend using a product called "TRIM C270" cutting fluid concentrate. Mix it with water (3 parts water to 1 part C270). This mix will not turn rancid, will not rust your equipment. About once a month, add some additional water, depending on how much you cut with the saw. About once or twice a year, add a cup of Trim C270 to the tank to compensate for loss. If you notice some rust on your saw, that means the "TRIM" is too weak in the solution. It is what they use in the local shipyard that builds ships for the United States Navy. I purchased the "Lenox Bi-Metal" blades on the internet from the BSBD.com. Lenox "CLASSIC" blades. They last a long time , I have cut stainless, high-carbon steel with them. No problem.

I need work with some stainless steel, so I decided to buy a 115 pc cobalt drill set. $80 with a 20% off coupon. I've used 3 of them so far seem to work as advertised. The quality seems to be good, and the grind looks good on the ones I have checked. I haven't gone through them to check sizes.

My favorite Harbor Freight tool is my 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack. I have a bigger one, but I use this one the most.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 7.31.38 PM.png

I have there original Alum. jack that is branded US General. It has been a great jack probably at least 15 years old now.

I have been abusing that same aluminum jack for years and it keeps on going. It certainly is one of the gems.

Back