Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I have the 4x6 horizontal/vert bandsaw. Got it for under $200 with a coupon. Works great with a new blade.
Have the 4.5 inch angle grinder. Works good for little projects, but vibrates like hell, so you can't use it for long. Switch is also difficult to actuate.

Cheap place to buy tarps, and those work just fine too ;)

Many, many, many years ago I ordered two sets of metric impact sockets, one 3/8 drive and one 1/2 inch drive. I also ordered their large set of air hammer chisels. Now keep in mind this is way back when the only Harbor Freight was in California. Probably 30 or perhaps a few more years ago. The metric sockets I never thought I would have a need for a "good" set, so I bought some cheap imported crap. The chisels rounded out the order, they were on sale and shipped for free. All three sets are still alive and well. I thought at least the chisels would break or be soft..or the tapered end mushroom. Nope..still as good as the ones from Chicago Pneumatic or Sears. Ditto for the sockets. Some show a little, and by that I mean very little wear in the drive hole, but no more than my Snap-on set that cost five times as much. No socket split it's side out, even when used with an adapter on a 3/4 inch impact. Oh..yes..the impact adapters. Bullet proof. No wear whatsoever..they just got shiny in the drive holes.

Their chip brushes are great..as good as anyones but much cheaper. Their air hose on a retractable reel is great, both the 25 and 50 foot ones. Five years and no leaks or complaints.

I have so many HF tools I would have to inventory my garage. But recently bought there 18V drill with battery and charger for $14.99. Can't believe how good it works and can buy a replacement batter for about $10.00 with coupon. I have at least 6-7 other 18V & 24V tools all with expensive dead batteries.
I also have there tire changer, wheel balancer, about 3 different size air nailers, half dozen or so varous air grinders & saws. There 14" cut off saw, welding wire, sockets etc. They all work and just wish they were closer than a 60 mile round trip. And now there offering cheap insurance on there tools. Sure like getting all those free gifts. Got lots of free flash lights that work great, free multi meters, gloves, screw drivers, scissors and more.

Think I need to make another trip to HF.

Though the pictures are great and an important part of the review I think the item number is even more important. If this thread grows to be many pages long ... similar to what is on the garage journal forum ... then searching to get feedback on a particular item will be tough if all we have is pictures. Searching on the item number would make it a no-brainer.

Based on a "Pass or Fail" rating my opinion would be a fail. Only been there a couple of times but ended up walking out empty handed. Found the quality to be low and not to my liking.
I do have some friends who buy a lot from them and are very happy with the items. Mostly motorcycle equipment like lifts and tire repair tools.

I got a few things from there, 4-1/2 in angle grinder i bought 3 at $9.99 two are still working good the third one the four screws on the head loosened and the gears stripped. The other two i removed the screws and put in good grease there was hardly any in them, if you have one i suggest you do the same. I also got the 7x10 lathe when it was $299.00 with a 20% off coupon,now its $499.00 DONT wast your money on it,all plastic gears and alot of sanding on the gibs to get a halfway descent cut on alluminum i wouldnt even consider trying to cut steel. I also got a Motorcycle lift not the platform one its item#99887 it works great i had it two years with no problems at all, i paid $129.00 now since people left good reviews its $199.00. If people would stop leaving good reviews, the prices would stay down to what there worth. Well thats my 2 cents Thanks Dean.

I have purchased lots of stuff from HF, mostly stuff that will see little usage. My favorites include the popular 4 1/2 inch grinders(only Chicago Electric), 2 1/2 ton large frame hydraulic jack(which they dont sell anymore nor stock repair parts), impact sockets, blue flame welding helmet, and chip brushes. All of these items have seen much more use than anticipated and have performed well. My oldest grinder is over five years old while the hydraulic jack is over ten but was recently rebuilt. Price drives my HF purchases. Their prices are rising which will hurt their sales.

The Five drawer tool cart gets my best rating. I moved out of my big tool box at work and have not looked back since. It can be had on sale for $169. Better quality than the name brands on that item. Item number 95272.
Chris.

image_11938.jpg

I don't have a lot from HF even though I have one within a short driving distance. For the most part what I do have are things needed for "one-time" jobs where I want to spend as little as possible and it wouldn't matter if the tool didn't survive. The exception to this, so far, is the little band saw I got a couple of months ago. Haven't used it enough to really evaluate it and the few issues I did have with it may have been the crappy blade. Time will tell.

I have a real love of quality tools and to tell the truth walking in to the local HF just gives me a dirty kind of feeling (and not a good kind of dirty either :biggrin:). I will avoid it but find it to be a necessary evil at times.

-Ron

Reactions: jsh
... The exception to this, so far, is the little band saw I got a couple of months ago. Haven't used it enough to really evaluate it and the few issues I did have with it may have been the crappy blade. Time will tell. ...

If you are talking about the portable band saw then my recommendation ... and it is similar to the recommendation I have for most things I get at HF ... is to take the cover off the gear box and (a) remove the chunks of what I assume were at one time grease that are in there --- note the chunks were no where near the gears but at least inside the gear box -- and (b) put some good grease on the gears. After that you may want to get a blade from a reputable source just to have one on had but the one that came with mine has worked just fine so the extra blade is simply a spare.

If you are talking about the ubiquitous 4x6 band saw, there is a group on yahoo that can provide lots of support but the usual "new owner" incantation is to take the cover off the gearbox and remove whatever you find in there – a liquid that might be a lubricant, casting sand, bugs, etc. – and then refill the it with a quality gear oil. Replace the blade with a quality 64 1/2 inch bimetal and enjoy many years of service.

Back