Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Generally, I avoid anything from HF that has moving parts, experienced and heard of too many problems. I have a 4x6 bandsaw [build date on the motor is 1979] that I got at an estate sale about 20 years ago, and it has served me well since. About 8 years ago, the company bought a 4x6 bandsaw for cutting thin stuff, 1/8 and thinner, as the big saw we had lost too many teeth on this mtl. I set this saw up, and had to spend about half a day shimming and aligning it so the blade would stay on track. It's been a problem since, but far better than when new. The one thing I speak well of from HF is the orange 4 1/2" grinder, bought one to use in a necessary but abusive environment because it was cheap compared to our Milwaukee's, and the thing just won't quit.

Well I visit HF quite often but usually only buy little things. However I did buy a 5 ton large frame floor jack to lift my camper and tractor with and it works fine. My camper weighs in excess of 6000 lbs. and my tractor an old IH W6 with calcium filled tires, at least that much. I also bought a pallet jack from them, works great.
On the other hand I bought one of those little spot welding guns to use on my stick welder and it was useless. I have not bought any power tools but have bought several hydraulic bottle jacks several being long rams use in my auto rotisserie and a 20 ton for my hydraulic press and am very happy with them

When I was working for a living I had and still have DeWalt Drills ( 2 ) small Skill Saw, Rec Saw and others all the batterys are shot now.

I was losing the DeWalt stuff so I picked up 2-12 Volt drill, 3-4 1/2 grinders and the grinders have out lasted the 4 DeWalts I had. One of the grinders lost a brush cap about two years ago and its still working with out it.

The HF drills are still working and the batterys are cheap so I'm hanging on to them.

Paul

I have the 13 Drawer Red Industrial Quality Roller Cabinet Item # 90320 along with the top and one side box. It is verry havey duty I have it full of hevey tools and the drawers clide verry smoothe. Alot sturdederyer than what craftsman sells at 1/4 the price. I have had it for 5 years and it has held up well. I give it 5 stars. Also there US Genral air compressors are made in the USA. I don't owen one but when I was looking for parts for my Ingersaw ran found out the HF us general is the same compressor.

I've owned an engine hoist 3 years. It was left outside in the elements and took a pounding. One of the casters lost its ball bearings. Other than that, it was stellar. The newer one depicted below has the legs skewed and no adjustable legs. The skewed legs allow you to surround the machine better, and I never adjust the legs anyway. I used it to lift an 1800 pound milling machine. It's a good product. On sale now for $199.

image_11913.jpg

image_11913.jpg

I forgot but I have the engine hoist as well. I've had it about 7 years and have pulled/installed at least 20 motors with it without issue.

+ 1 on the 13 drawer HF roller cabinet . Had one for a year now and it gives a lot of storage for the mill . The rollers actually roll when it is loaded w/ tools . The top serves as a work area and also plenty of room for the Gerstner , that holds the mikes and such .

IMG_0061-1.jpg

After looking at Sears and others , Remline comes to mind , the HF is better in weight and quality , drawers have rollers and move easy . Don't remember the price , but used one of the 20% off coupons and they honored it on a sale price to boot . So it was a least $150 cheaper than the others .

IMG_0061-1.jpg

IMG_0061-1.jpg

I had one of their portable grinders years ago. I was giving it a work out one day (cutting up a car fender) and it got so hot around the brushes that the plastic caught fire! As it was burning I could still turn it on and off which kinda amazed me. Not enough to NOT throw it across the yard in disgust though. Never bought another – fail (because my DeWalt handled the rest of the job with no issues)

Had a heat gun that did not last long enough to shrink the first piece of heat shrink – fail (the why is obvious)

I’ve had one of their small bench top drill presses for maybe 20 years now. Still going but like most of their equipment is underpowered. By no means a precision, balanced piece of equipment but handy sitting on the corner of my bench– pass (but only because of how long its lasted and I’ve learned to live with it only drilling small pilot holes)

Recently I bought one of their lithium battery 3/8 drills on sale (item#68126). Light weight, small little drill but again no power. It has a 3/8 chuck but no power to run a 3/8 drill. If I stick to maybe half that size it does OK – fail (not enough power to operate as advertised)

While others seem to like their powder coating gun I did not. Too hard to control the powder flow and very clumsy – fail (just my opinion)

1" chip brushes and shop rags – pass (cheap - disposable)

Motorcycle lift should get a fail because of the cheesy, useless front wheel chock and leaking hydraulic ram. Once I built a real wheel chock it turned out to be a handy little devise that has seen plenty of use. The leak is still there (with a small drip pan under it) – fail right out of the box but changed to pass with modifications and because of sale price and coupons. If I were to do it again I’d buy item# 96349 along with the lift, throw away the wheel chock that comes with it, and bolt this motorcycle chock in its place. I have one of those chocks bolted into a trailer and it works fine - pass

Pneumatic powered bottle jack – fail because of the amazing amount of compressor air it requires to operate!

I’m sure there are other items but this is what comes to mind right now. I’d include more item numbers but most of my experience with them is dated and the item numbers have probably changed. For years I’ve stayed away from anything they offer with a plug attached to it. I deviated from this rule with that little drill and got a fresh reminder of why. IMHO their stuff is almost expected to fail and is a surprise when it works as advertised. When I was younger (with no $$) I had the patience for their equipment. I try to buy more reliable items these days.

Just my .02

I have the 13 drawer HF roller cabinet with the middle section and the top chest. I got one of the ones that look like a Kennedy A few months ago.

SWMBO saw it Saturday and all she said was nice tool box. I had to go to the Pensacola VA Clinic yesterday so we stopped at HF on the way home. I looked around but didn't get anything, It was raining really hard so I told the wife I'd go get the truck so she didn't have to get wet.

I pulled up to the store and she was standing there looking to the back of the store. A guy came up there with a cart and a new tool box for her. Well I knew I couldn't say anything so I got out and helped him load it up.I unloaded it this morning put the casters on it set it all togather and told her she could put the handles.

I picked up one of the big hammer drills at a salvage store for $7.00 it had the case and manual but know bits its working fine.

Also have the engine host that folds up, It has pulled a few motors moved a few machings and help me put some togather.+ a bunch of other stuff!

Paul

Tool Box.JPG

I have bought a good bit from HF. Some was really bad, a lot has been good. I'll try to post the good ones here.
the tool grinder #46727, only needed the wheels trued, I trued the edges of the tables to the slot also
4x6 band saw #93762, really needs a bimetal blade to work well though
digital calipers seem to work well, need to be re-zeroed regularly
4 1/2 side grinder #91223, their disks seem to hold up good also
2 18volt drills just don't drop them from the top of a 8' ladder (don't ask) they have since been discontinued
18 volt skill saw still works well the flashlight that came with it is not worth a flip though discontinued also
grinder 39798 no problems, could use better wheels
3" grinder #43533 works well alone but the plastic shaft with it is a joke
bought this to replace it shaft grinder #40432 works well
7" tile saw #40315
digital multimeters #90899 great for the price
have the free flashlights all over the house #65020
10" trim saw #98199 great
jack stands #38846
auto welding helmet #46092
mig welder #97503

I'm sure there is more. I've bought waaaay too much there

be