Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Has anyone found a better battery for there Chicago Electric cordless tools?

I have a ton of there tools , some I've used daily for over twenty years. There have been some well made items that when offered you better get them quick. A few years back they sold four drawer parts storage bins in metal with a full assortment of bolts , sae and metric , screws, and other items for $49.95 . They stopped selling almost as soon as they started . Another was a large rolling gray metal shelving unit that was about 6' x 4' x 2' with nice heavy casters. I think they were $59.99 , those items I would have gone back and bought several more. But they were not to be found a few weeks after I got them. I use there 4" + 4 1/2" cut off discs , there older grinding wheels in those sizes I think we're better then now. YUPP I'm not afraid to buy there tools and consumables.
I even have the green mill drill , a hydraulic lift table , jib crane using there truck crane , parts assortment in clear boxes , c clips , roll pins , hair clips , clench pins ,tenerman clips , o ring sets . Garage repair shop full.

Last edited:
I just picked up a couple roll around tool boxes, Yukon brand,46"wide. I think they will be fine. I also got the us general brand 44" model. While they are not exactly the same quality, they are pretty close in construction, drawer slides and ability to hold tools in the drawers. Saved $100.00 each on the yukons.

Ymmv
Good buy

Rich

We visited a store yesterday just to look and checked out bench grinders.

Spun the wheels on all of them and every one wobbled...A bunch ...as mush as 1/8 inch on one and just enough to see on others.

I would think they would take the little bit of extra time to be sure the display units were good...but maybe better to show what you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

We visited a store yesterday just to look and checked out bench grinders.

Spun the wheels on all of them and every one wobbled...A bunch ...as mush as 1/8 inch on one and just enough to see on others.

I would think they would take the little bit of extra time to be sure the display units were good...but maybe better to show what you get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
I bought one of those grinders, at an estate sale and you are right about the wheel wobble; I replaced the wheels with USA mfg. and the problem persists; the problem seems to be the inner washers that are made of just stamped thin metal. I made new ones the same thickness, machined all over, and not much improvement; what is needed is to make a new set that are longer and extend right up to the bearings, as the old ones just bear against a very narrow shoulder on the shaft. This would make them run straighter, and they could be trued up in place.

I bought one of those grinders, at an estate sale and you are right about the wheel wobble; I replaced the wheels with USA mfg. and the problem persists; the problem seems to be the inner washers that are made of just stamped thin metal. I made new ones the same thickness, machined all over, and not much improvement; what is needed is to make a new set that are longer and extend right up to the bearings, as the old ones just bear against a very narrow shoulder on the shaft. This would make them run straighter, and they could be trued up in place.

OneWay makes a wheel balancing kit that will make even a cheapo grinder run true with decent wheels. Still cheaper than a Baldor.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/sharpening-grinding-jigs/Balancing Systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a HF 6" grinder. Only good thing about it is that it spins, however, wobbly. I turned good stabilized washers and it smoothed out. The problem is that the shafts are so short when using the good washers there are only about four threads left for the mounting nut. Rather dangerous. Obvious FAIL. Otherwise happy with HF.

Got a HF 1 ton engine hoist used CL add $50. , layed it in my truck and the oil leaked out,
it has a 3 ton cylinder on it , I'm replacing it with a 8 ton cylinder and I'll beef up the frame
to lift a Sheldon 13" lathe off a trailer I hope

I moved a 2500# Cincinnati mill with a 2 ton HF engine crane. The weak link in my usage was the casters. I didn't plan far enough ahead and ended up skewing the load and overloading one front wheel going up the step from driveway to building floor. It didn't fail, but did bend a bit. Easy fix.

Back