Ray Hasbrouck Steam Engines

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I purchased "The Steam Engines of Ray Hasbrouck" book a few months back.
I was thinking of using cast iron for the cylinders, but sourcing large blocks of cast iron is hard to find and expensive if you do.
I was thinking one might use an ICE engine block and cut out individual cylinders for stock.
It seemed to me that this would save a lot of machining since the bore holes are already there.
Any thought about using cast iron for steam engine cylinders ?
Any concerns with machining such as differences in material hardness due to being ran as an ICE engine due to heating and cooling ?
Any other thoughts/concerns ?

JPigg55, I believe Ray has many steam engines of different sizes in his book, if your not building the larger size to power a small boat but something more along the 1" to 1 1/2" bore size, Speedy Metals is reasonable for cast iron. The issue is the shipping charges for metal is quite steep. I am building a twin cylinder with 1 1/4" bore and 1 3/4" stroke at the present time. I believe the block of cast iron was around $18.00 and as much for shipping. Whatever you do or decide on, have fun and enjoy.
Pat

The two cyl engine in my avitar was all brass and aluminum, 1/2 bore. I made a larger one out of CI, forgot that steam condenses into water, it rusted. Be aware.

The two cyl engine in my avitar was all brass and aluminum, 1/2 bore. I made a larger one out of CI, forgot that steam condenses into water, it rusted. Be aware.
There are chemicals you can add to the water to prevent corrosion. The Stanley Steamer ran with oil mixed with the water.

Thanks for the replies.
I do want a larger engine for powering a boat. Seems a lot of steam engine cylinders I've seen on Youtube and such look to be made of cast iron possibly due to the steam engine casting kits for sale.
I just thought using an ICE engine block as stock might save money.
Hadn't thought of sleeving the cylinder, good idea.

Speedy Metals is reasonable for cast iron. The issue is the shipping charges for metal is quite steep.
Pat
Where are you located? Speedy Metals will ship to locations in Wisconsin and several surrounding states via Spee-Dee Delivery for a fraction of what UPS charges but you have to call on the phone and ask for it.

Hadn't thought of sleeving the cylinder, good idea.

Millions of aluminum cylinders with cast sleeves in use. Every thing from lawnmowers to 2 cycle and 4 cycle snowmobile ,motorcycle, etc.

I gotta apologize. Right after I posted the above, about the two cyl steam engine in my avatar,I changed to the small vise that's there now. Dumb me.

I have dealt with L A sleeve recently and they are a pleasure to deal with. ( no connection with them) I had a custom sleeve built for 3hp Geo. D. Pohl diesel flywheel engine, I needed a 4" bore and 14 1/2" length. I couldn't get one at melling, the longest they would make a 4" sleeve was 10 1/5". I would buy from them again. They were reasonably priced.

Back