RC Corsair Exhaust

It's a big heavy plane that came with a 4 cell brushless outrunner. Not nearly enough power. I replaced the motor with the most powerful 4 cell I could find and it still limps around the sky. I don't want to go to 6 cell. I've got a bunch of 60's so, what the hell, I'm going for it! Ha, did I mention the plane is foam? Should be interesting. And yeah, it's gonna take some tailweight. The 5000 mah batt was heavy but it's closer to the CG than the glow 60.

I saw the foam, yes it will be interesting. It will sound SOOO much better though. I do not like electric power.

AIRFIELD F4U Corsair 1450mm.

Sorry, I was referencing Dhal22's post (picture actually).

Curious though how you made the actual exhaust stacks. Did you use a rotary table for each one with the center of axis over the table, or how did you do that?

I don't have any glo or gas left. I went to all electric. Just love the convenience and cleanliness of it. To me, the glow or gas don't sound like the real airplane anyhow, unless you have a Moki in it.

client_PART_1499136369694_output.jpgclient_PART_1500140798671_20170715_104347.jpg

I got into large scale helicopters a few years ago. Really enjoy that. All electric of course.

Curious though how you made the actual exhaust stacks. Did you use a rotary table for each one with the center of axis over the table, or how did you do that?
While the block was in the mill I laid out the center location of the two stacks and center drilled them. Next step was to mill two square stacks. Then I used the 4 jaw in the lathe to line up the center of each stack using a wiggler with a ball end. Turn the square stack round. Drill the stack thru to the expansion chamber. Move to the other stack and do it again. I could have used my RT on the mill but since I've been turning for 30 years and only have a mill for a few months, I was much more comfortable using the lathe. With all the hours I have in this little part I didn't want to screw it up on the last step!
PS: I put a plastic block on one jaw of the of the lathe chuck to minimize the imbalance of asymetrical turning.

Attachments

• DSC_0240.JPG
    DSC_0240.JPG
    456.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0246.JPG
    DSC_0246.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0247.JPG
    DSC_0247.JPG
    780.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Cool project! And nice work! At first glance I was wondering why you chose to use an aluminum block instead of some kind of tubing, but since you need to incorporate an expansion chamber your solution is probably the most compact design possible.

While the block was in the mill I laid out the center location of the two stacks and center drilled them. Next step was to mill two square stacks. Then I used the 4 jaw in the lathe to line up the center of each stack using a wiggler with a ball end. Turn the square stack round. Drill the stack thru to the expansion chamber. Move to the other stack and do it again. I could have used my RT on the mill but since I've been turning for 30 years and only have a mill for a few months, I was much more comfortable using the lathe. With all the hours I have in this little part I didn't want to screw it up on the last step!
PS: I put a plastic block on one jaw of the of the lathe chuck to minimize the imbalance of asymetrical turning.

Very nice. Thank you for the explanation.

To me, the glow or gas don't sound like the real airplane anyhow, unless you have a Moki in it.

Kavan 50cc gas/glow, OS Pegasus 320 glow, and modern Kolm or Valach AND Mokis. All are very real sound.

We just need an RC plane forum.............

Cool project! And nice work! At first glance I was wondering why you chose to use an aluminum block instead of some kind of tubing, but since you need to incorporate an expansion chamber your solution is probably the most compact design possible.

Agree.

We just need an RC plane forum.............

Hey man, you could start one! There's an R/C Model section in the "Things that move on their own" forum. Not much traffic but if you and some other guys start posting it will liven up! I'd lurk around such a forum for sure. I find R/C aircraft super amazing, but also very very intimidating.

A guy over on the Rocketry Forum makes these incredible rocket gliders but they are not for the novice. I've been considering buying a trainer and seeing what happens.

@epanzella consider starting a thread in the R/C section to chronicle your project, there's a handful of us who would be excited to follow along!

Also @7milesup, those helicopters are unbelievable! I had no idea they were scale til I noticed the human in the first photo!

Hey, I didn't know there was an RC section! I've got lots of pics on changes and evolution of the corsair and other planes. It would be great to get an active RC forum going. I think I'll visit there next. Shout out to 7 mile; AWESOME BIRDS!

Back