RDX 12x36 lathe questions.

Wrench567

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a hobby lathe that will also be used to make tooling and turn bushings and pins for my main job as a heavy truck and mining machine mechanic. I was researching many different machines in the 12 x 36 size. I found this but have little to no information except for a download of the owners manual written in Chinglesh. I want to know if this machine is rigid and durable enough to turn hard materials? Are the crossfeed and compound inch thread screws or metric conversions? Overall quality of the castings, gears, and slideways? Where would I go for parts?
I have emailed and called Wholesale Tools with no satisfactory answers and no response or call backs. Makes me want to disregard this machine but the price is incredible compared to similar machines.
For some reason I cannot post a link.

If anyone owns or has owned this lathe please let me know.
Thank you.
Pete

Many people with more experience than I will be along shortly. My 2 cents worth is this- If you can't find any support BEFORE you throw your money out, what will the support be like AFTER they have got your dough? And if they won't support it now, how much effort did they expend in the design and manufacture of this fine piece of equipment to begin with?

Never hear of that brand. Agree with above, if you can't get any answers or post purchase support walk away. Also do not assume that if two machines look the same that they are, or parts are interchangeable. There was a recent post on an individual who got a great price on a Bolton 13x37 lathe only to find out it had very limited threading options with no additional change gears, his queries to Bolton went unanswered. Not worth the trouble to go down that road, and the specs only go so far when comparing machines. A comparable lathe with more information/reviews and better support/parts would be something like the PM-1236, PM-1236GT, G0750G or G4003G. Buying something like the RDX, Bolton, etc. and saving a few $100 at this purchase level, not worth it in the long run. Buy once, cry once.

Do you have a picture of it? Sounds like the typical 12x36 lathe made in China and Wholesale Tools just put their RDX label on it. Just like Enco did when they were in business. If the lathe is a good price I would grab it.

A comparable lathe with more information/reviews and better support/parts would be something like the PM-1236, PM-1236GT, G0750G or G4003G. Buying something like the RDX, Bolton, etc. and saving a few $100 at this purchase level, not worth it in the long run. Buy once, cry once.

When you buy from a reputable dealer you can be assured that the machine will actually show up.
When you buy from PM or Grizzly you can be assured that they support their products.

I have a G4004G and it works quite well.

Thank you guys.
I figured someone on this forum would have owned or used one but I guess it is a real minor player in the hobby lathe market. Four responses with one for and three against. I have decided to remove it from my list. The most damaging reason is support pre and post sale. After three Emails and two phone calls I still have no answers to my questions.

It will either be a PM 1236 or a Grizzly G4003 for me. They both seem very comparable in the spec and feature department. Support seems top notch from both companies. Although the PM 1030V looks to be a very capable machine. I probably could get that into my basement with little disassembly. A 12X36 would have to be taken apart to their frames for me to carry it down to the bowels of the homestead.

Thank you for your time.
Pete

Back