Re: DRO's - maybe stupid question time

Dawn

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

So, I ordered a PM-25MV and I want to install a DRO. Can anyone tell me what difference it makes as to GS10 vs. GS30 linear scales....? According to info on DRO Pros website there is about 7mm difference in height and 1.5mm in width. Is this going to matter in installation? And, what about functionality? Is there a difference in that?

Thank you!

Hi All,

So, I ordered a PM-25MV and I want to install a DRO. Can anyone tell me what difference it makes as to GS10 vs. GS30 linear scales....? According to info on DRO Pros website there is about 7mm difference in height and 1.5mm in width. Is this going to matter in installation? And, what about functionality? Is there a difference in that?

Thank you!

For some installations, the size difference will be the difference between being able to install a DRO or not. I have installed two GS-10 profile glass scale systems on mills. I haven't installed the GS-30 profile scale but I would not expect any difference in functionality.

On my G0602 lathe, I went with the Touch DRO system with iGaging scales because I couldn't fit either the GS-10 or GS-30 scales on my cross slide.

Looking at the DRO Pros website, there is no cost differential so the choice is yours. I would possibly consider the GS-10 becaise they are more common but it's not a decision maker. You might want to consider the 1 micron scales although it isn't as important on a mill as on a lathe where you might want to read the X scale as a diameter.

I would ask Matt at QMT what he recommends, the GS30 is a Slimline series so may allow a bit more clearance for mounting on a smaller machine. On a small mill I might opt for the GS30 if you can get them in the sizes you need. Functionally they are identical. I would go with a 2 axis model X, Y since you already have a Z axis on the the quill DRO.

Back