[How do I?] Re-felting Kennedy boxes

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I recently came into two Kennedy 520 boxes, one chock full of tools, the other empty. Neither have decent interior felt and I'm wondering what the generally accepted approach is. The felt kits from Kennedy seem expensive to me but maybe there's something special about them.

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

I redid my Beach using green baize (billiard table cloth) and warm hide glue. No pilling of the fabric like felt tends to do.

-frank

Thanks Frank, that’s genius. Looks like baize is readily available too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMaster Carr sells Felt. Not sure about cost to BC though.

McMaster Carr sells Felt. Not sure about cost to BC though.

Could be eye popping!
I’ll check though, thanks for the lead!

I bought heavy felt from a fabric shop (relatively cheap) and stuck it down with spray contact adhesive. Recall hearing stories of corrosion due to glue type and possible synthetic felt, after 3 or 4 years no signs of rust but it is in a heted shop.
KIMG0231.jpg

Greg

David, there was a discussion on this topic some threads ago. One thing that NOT to do is use any white or yellow wood glue. Seems that the glue will gas off and cause rust. Hide glue has some advantages. It does not gas off and does not creep.. To do metal: clean with denatured alcohol. Okay. get ready, I'm serious, rub garlic on the surface. I guess there are some acids or something in the garlic that will etch the metal. (At least it will keep the vampires out. Maybe Dracula had iron deficiency anemia). Then glue the felt.

David, there was a discussion on this topic some threads ago. One thing that NOT to do is use any white or yellow wood glue. Seems that the glue will gas off and cause rust. Hide glue has some advantages. It does not gas off and does not creep.. To do metal: clean with denatured alcohol. Okay. get ready, I'm serious, rub garlic on the surface. I guess there are some acids or something in the garlic that will etch the metal. (At least it will keep the vampires out. Maybe Dracula had iron deficiency anemia). Then glue the felt.

Thanks, I’m guessing that I wasn’t using the correct search as I came up empty handed.
Hide glue might be a challenge as I have none of the gear to deal with it. It’s always been sort of an enigma to me, used by elite woodworkers. @francist comes to mind :)

Titebond makes a liquid hide glue that is in a squeeze bottle just like the other wood glues except the bottle is brown. It's not quite as good as the hot glue pot type. However, in your case, it should be just fine. I don't know if the garlic will repel moths. Well, maybe the vampire kind.

Back