Re-grinding only one V-way of a lathe bed

Kevin T

Registered
Registered
Don't fret the wear you can't detect in your work is my motto. I am afraid to check the wear in my machine like the guy did on the video above. I make parts, I take measurements along the way, I get good results.

I was really impressed that there is a way to rebuild the saddle and build up the material on the wear surfaces. I had no idea that was possible!

sdelivery

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Years ago when I was a kid...maybe 60 years ago my Dad bought a lathe for our work shop in the garage at the cabin. The V was was terrible. He rigged up the compound on the bottom slide of the tail-stock and he had me pushing the sled up and down the TS ways that weren't worn to bad and with a tool holder and bit, I planned it. Them after it was close he had me file it, then we hand scraped it . It worked and I remember it was a pain and dirty as heck with that cast iron dust. It worked. I have scraped one side that was scored on grinders when we had an emergency repair. It worked, so it is possible. Would I do it on a rebuild with time, no. But if your short of time and $ go for it. I dis some math..8 mm is .350 inches. You must mean something else. what is it in inches? Bedtime for me......
I so love the idea of using the tailstock as a sled to cut the other surfaces. Damn Mr King,
YOU are A Hero

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock