Re-learning how to sharpen twist drills

I learned to hand sharpen drill bits in 9th grade shop class. We had to make a drill sharpening gauge out of steel, then use it to sharpen drill bits. It's not a perfect science. Sometimes it doesn't work, so you go back and try again. Most of the time I can get a good sharp one of the first try. It's not hard. Just a simple technique, really. I could show you how to do it in about 5 minutes.

If I have dozens of drills to sharpen, I use my Drill Doctor, but for one or two I just go to the grinder.

GG
Yes, I was supposed to learn that in shop, we only had woodwork but you still have to have sharp drills.

Later when I did my apprenticeship, I realised that I wasn't very good at it. Even a blunt, or badly sharpened drill will cut wood, but not steel. As an apprentuice we had to make a drill sharpening guide. I appear to have lost mine, must get anew one.

I do have have a cheap and nasty )Rockwell) drill sharpener, it's ok for very small sizes up to about1/4"but useless for anything over about 3/8, All the larger sizes I do by hand. It does sharpen knives ok.

I noticed I still need to practice doing the relief cause on that first one I did the "web" at the tip was a little too wide and the drill skated around a bit before biting in.
It did drill a nice hole though. Can only get better at it.
Mark S.

Back